PDA

View Full Version : Nursing bras

floriflee
12-30-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm new to the whole parenting thing (well, not even to the parenting part yet since DD isn't due for about another 7 weeks). In any case, I've been trying to find out information on nursing bras. Does anyone have recommendations on what to look for when buying a nursing bra?

Where have people found good, comfortable, and easy to use bras?

As far as size goes can I expect to be as big while I'm nursing as I am now? I ask because I've gone up two cup sizes since becoming pregnant and I am wondering if I will shrink, grow or stay the same size while nursing.

On average, how long does it take before the breasts return to their "normal" size?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for the input! :)

C99
12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
>Does anyone have recommendations on what to
>look for when buying a nursing bra?

You want a soft cup, a back fastener w/ at least 3 hooks in the row, and a front clasp that you can easily open with one hand.

>Where have people found good, comfortable, and easy to use
>bras?

My favorite bras from my DD were the ones I bought at Sears, of all places. They were stretchy cotton, had an extraordinarily easy front clasp and provided plenty of support. They were around $20 each. The only bad part about the Sears bras was that the under part of the bra would stretch up over time, so it was visible above/around the front flap. It didn't bother me because I did not wear revealing shirts or t-shirts, but it might bother other people. I also liked the nursing tanks sold at K-Mart. I wasn't as big of a fan of the Glamourmom nursing tank (too short in the torso) or the Target nursing tank (was in between sizes), and my first set of nursing bras, made by Medela, and purchased after my DS was born, were not nearly as comfortable or easy to use as the Sears bras. I know a lot of people like Bravado and Spanx bras too.

>As far as size goes can I expect to be as big while I'm
>nursing as I am now?

No, you cannot. I have found that what really changed in my pregnancies was my rib cage - it swelled out to a 36, and then shrunk back down to my normal size of 34 about a week after my babies were born. My cup size also grew (and grew and later shrunk) after my milk came in.

>On average, how long does it take before the breasts return to
>their "normal" size?

Depends on how long you nurse for. My cup size went up exponentially in the first 0-6 months of nursing, when my milk first came in, and then when I was the only food supply for an exclusively breastfed 5-month-old. Once I introduced table/solid foods and my kids took to them, my cup size started to drop a bit. It went back to "normal" when my DS weaned at 20 months. My DD weaned at 18 months and my boobs are a bit bigger than they were before I started to have children.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm new to the whole parenting thing (well, not even to the parenting part yet since DD isn't due for about another 7 weeks). In any case, I've been trying to find out information on nursing bras. Does anyone have recommendations on what to look for when buying a nursing bra?

If you plan to buy one early make sure you buy from somewhere with a good return policy. Best to wait till your milk is in, then go get fitted. Probably between day 3 and 5.

No underwire so you don't have to worry about plugged ducts. Ditto with ones that are too tight. I didn't like snap closures or ones that closed in the middle. The snap ones I had would pop open if I got really engorged those early weeks. I like the latches on the bra strap as I found them to be more reliable and pretty easy to use.

I liked ones that had little flaps in them that would secure your breast pads.

Chest size matters. Some of the cami varieties just won't offer enough support to someone more well endowed, imo.

Where have people found good, comfortable, and easy to use bras?
I found good selections at MotherWear.com (also a catalog). NOT at the mall stores (crappy return policies usually). I was not impressed with ones from Target (I had 2) but other people have had better success. Once you have been properly fitted just shop around. Kohl's usually has some at a adecent price. I liked Motherwear because they had fun looking ones (colors, lace...).

As far as size goes can I expect to be as big while I'm nursing as I am now? I ask because I've gone up two cup sizes since becoming pregnant and I am wondering if I will shrink, grow or stay the same size while nursing.
I didn't change while pg but when my milk was in I went up ne cup size in the beginning.

average, how long does it take before the breasts return to their "normal" size?
4 months? That would be my guess. It has been a while for me. :)
Don't overbuy in the beginning if you really plan to bf severl months becauseyour size will change as your body gets a steady supply going (no more engorgement).

There are several threads on these first 5 pages probably that talk about when to buy nursing bras and recs for them. May help to read back to see if there are any other tips.

Beth

hellbennt
12-31-2006, 01:57 PM
I love love love my mimi maternity nursing bras
wore them 15 months w/ 1st ds & now again w/ ds #2
I find it's good to wander to the mall sometime in the 1st month & have them measure you & help fit you
excellent quality & comfy!

~laura
~jonah 7/03 & Ari 7/06~

Piglet
01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I think a lot depends on your cup size. I am smallish (although not anymore - I somehow ballooned to a D this pregnancy). I find that a lot of smaller women do great with tanks or Bravados, Yes! bras, etc. Larger women need more support and a better fit. Either way, for the first week or so, you will want a light support bra with room for growth. Don't spend the time and money while pregnant to get fitted as you will likely change sizes in the weeks after delivery. Get a tank bra or Yes! bra that is not such a precise fit. Then once your milk comes in you will see if your needs are being met by the bra you bought or if you need a more supportive bra.

megs4413
01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
so what do i need right away? i want to have something on hand....i have a medela night time nursing bra thing....it doesn't really offer much support. what else will i need? i didn't nurse DD so i have no idea. and what size to buy ahead of time??? my boobs swelled pretty bad with DD in those first days...and i wasn't nursing! TIA!

floriflee
01-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Thank you to everyone for your input! I opted to just get a light-support tank nursing bra from Motherhood Maternity to use the first few days (it was on the cheaper side so I won't feel so bad if it ends up not being the right size in the weeks after). I will definitely follow the advice about getting measured after my milk comes in.

Thanks, again!

Bean606
01-31-2007, 09:39 AM
For home lounging and sleeping, I loved the Bravado bras. For work, I use the Anita bras. For my first two, I went to a store that specializes in nursing mothers to be measured. I went at 36 weeks, and they sold me bras that I could grow into a little bit. The Bravado bras are especially good for that. After DS was born and I knew I had purchased the right size, I ordered a few more on the web from figleaves.com. Good luck!