PDA

View Full Version : Maternity dress for a wedding

katydid1971
03-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Help!!! I need a nice dress to wear to a very fancy wedding when I will be 8 months along (think goodyear blimp) I have tried on EVERYTHING at motherhood and they are too casual or to skimpy. I have a normal body with lumps and don't want something with super thin straps to show off my less than supermodel arms. This is baby #2 and DH and I aren't planning on having any more so this would be the ONLY time I would wear this dress so I don't want to spend a ton of money. Any suggestions on where else to look for a dressy maternity dress for under $100?
TIA
Sarah

wendyp
03-27-2007, 09:19 AM
What about www.japaneseweekend.com? They also have retail stores. HTH!

Laurel
03-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I am in a similar predicament and have seen some really cute dresses (with sleeves!) on the Nordstrom website- sale prices are usually under $100.

LBMommy
03-29-2007, 10:46 AM
This could be a little risky, but last time I found my (summertime) baby shower dress less than a month beforehand on clearance at a Mimi/Pea in the Pod store. It was an 80 dollar simple tank dress marked down to 19.99, and it was perfect for the season (similar to regular retail stores, they were already displaying fall stuff!) I was psyched!!! It all depends on if you have stores close by and are willing to play the waiting game...

ETA: My point was that you should definitely look at higher-end stores (like Mimi or PiaP vs Motherhood), which typically can have the more tailored/conservative things you're looking for, b/c you never know what might end up on the clearance rack!

Good luck,
Jen

jniter
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I got some great dresses from Mimi Maternity and BabyStyle. I did get them on sale, so they were only about $35.

I also agree that Japnese Weekend Maternity and Nordstrom may have some good things.

Since you'll be 8 months, I would size up 1 or 2 sizes so the dress flows a litle more. I went up 1 size in a dress I got for a wedding. I was 7 months and it was a wee tight. It fit all right, but you could see a lump or two. Fortunately, I had a pashmina with me that I wrapped around me. :)

jniter
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I got some great dresses from Mimi Maternity and BabyStyle. I did get them on sale, so they were only about $35.

I also agree that Japnese Weekend Maternity and Nordstrom may have some good things.

Since you'll be 8 months, I would size up 1 or 2 sizes so the dress flows a litle more. I went up 1 size in a dress I got for a wedding. I was 7 months and it was a wee tight. It fit all right, but you could see a lump or two. Fortunately, I had a pashmina with me that I wrapped around me. :)

Radosti
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I am not even pregnant yet :) But I found a dress on clearance at Babystyle for $12 a while ago and got it for just in case with the next kid. I can always sell it if I am not pregnant/showing in the summer with the next kiddo. Plus, it was only $12. I got it in october, after last season.

Radosti
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I am not even pregnant yet :) But I found a dress on clearance at Babystyle for $12 a while ago and got it for just in case with the next kid. I can always sell it if I am not pregnant/showing in the summer with the next kiddo. Plus, it was only $12. I got it in october, after last season.