PDA

View Full Version : Hooray! I finally found the perfect swimsuit

writermama
04-20-2007, 05:40 PM
For me, that is. After spending 3 hours trying on the Lands End suits at Sears (only to have to order from the website to get the sizes I need), I walked in to LL Bean and the first suit I tried was perfect for me (big nursing-mama chest, belly that says, "I've had 2 babies").

http://cdn.llbean.com/products/womens/45199/images/M45199_True_Teal.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2ru2js

It has an under-wire bra and a sturdy control fabric that provides lots of support. It is the only suit I've tried all day that has enough support on top and it actually gives me a nice hour-glass shape. And they have some nice shorts to match:
http://cdn.llbean.com/products/womens/44457/images/M44457_Blue_Pine.jpg

So, as a product of my many hours of trying on suits, here's what I've learned:

If your figure is top-heavy like mine (currently 38 H), the best support will come from a one-piece with under-wire bra. It is the only under-wire I plan to use while nursing.

Soft cups offer some support, but none I tried today offered enough.

Tankinis offered good coverage (well, some of them did), and were very comfortable (my favorites were faille), but since they were loose at the bottom, they didn't provide as much chest support as a one piece and they tended to make my waist, hips and belly look bigger.

One pieces with control fabrics offered the best shaping.

Halter necklines help with support, but some make for unflattering necklines and all of them led to neck pain within a few minutes in the dressing room (this used to be my favorite style before babies, when I was merely large-chested and not "freakin' ridiculous").

Low v-necks should work, but none offered enough coverage (probably only c or d level), and spilling out of a low v is not as attractive as one might think.

Thin straps with a large chest look like things are about to spring loose, and quickly begin to dig into shoulders.

HTH,

jvs195
04-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Congratulations! And thanks for the great detailed review. That suit is very cute and I hope you get lots of wear from it this year! I know exactly what you mean about the spilling out not being attractive! I'm still searching and definitely need the underwire even though not as endowed, the girls just don't stay up where they should without it!

MamaMolly
04-22-2007, 09:43 AM
I love that type of suit, too. Before I had DD it is just the kind I'd pick out. But now that this is my first summer nursing, I have what might be a really dumb question:

How do you nurse in a tank? Do you just slip it off over your shoulder? Pull it down/over? What is your plan?

Oh, and are the shorts swim shorts or cover up? Thanks!

writermama
04-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Well, to nurse in this tank, I'll probably have to slip the strap off my shoulder and tug it down -- it will not be an easy/discreet nursing suit, but I don't anticipate having to nurse in it often.

The shorts are sold as coverup, but I plan to swim in them. They're made of swim trunk material, but, unlike the "swim shorts" I've seen, they don't have an inner lining. I would wear these over a swimsuit but not instead of one.