PDA

View Full Version : Do you shop in the juniors dept.?

s7714
05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Lately I've been finding more things I like and that fit in the "juniors" dept. vs. the regular "misses" dept. I didn't really think much of it until they were bashing a women on WNTW the other day about her shopping in the juniors dept.

Now granted I think there are some styles/fits that look much better on the younger set, but does anyone else consider the juniors dept. to be off limits? I'm just curious!

elliput
05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I wish I could shop in the juniors dept. :-(

MarisaSF
05-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Yes, I do occasionally (I don't shop for clothing at all very often), and my sister is always threatening that she's gonna sic WNTW on me. Some of my regular stores are all juniors department, iykwim -- express, gap, old navy, and crossroads trading company. I have to say it's a bit embarrassing; I could totally use a WNTW consultant!

JoyNChrist
05-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I agree - I shop at Gap (now that I've found their super-long pants), Express, and Old Navy a lot, and I guess that's pretty much all juniors stuff.

On a funny note, I got a lot of "maternity" clothes from the juniors department...long tops and empire waists seem to be in style now, so I was able to get a lot of stuff that fit great during early to mid pregnancy for non-maternity prices. I especially found a lot of these types of tops at Rave, Wet Seal, and Gadzooks (NOT places I normally shop, believe me!).

MarisaSF
05-02-2007, 01:21 AM
>On a funny note, I got a lot of "maternity" clothes from the
>juniors department...long tops and empire waists seem to be in
>style now

Same here. My favorite "maternity" tops were extra-long tshirts from the Brass Plum section of Nordstrom. I had bought them as basic tees before pregnancy not realizing how crazy long they are; perfect for pregnancy.

BeachBum
05-02-2007, 06:11 AM
I don't really count Gap and ON as juniors! I wonder if I need WNTW and don't even know it :)
I don't usually shop in juniors in department stores because I find the shirts are clingy in places I don't want them to be. I also find that the clothes just aren't as well made as what I typically buy.
But sure, picking up an item or two is no big deal.

SnuggleBuggles
05-02-2007, 07:29 AM
No way. 1. the quality is often lower (at least at mainstream dept. stores); 2. they are not cut for me (as I have hips and boobs :)); 3. I want to dress my age (while not dressing old). Now, I do shop at places like H&M that may walk the line on age appropriateness but I don't shop in their "young trend" section. I really think you can find the same sort of styles in other stores or departments- like the INC brand at Macy's as they tend to run more stylish, young and fun. But, that are still meant for adults. Have you tried at the mall The Limited, H&M, and Banana Republic? I have pretty good success at those stores.

Beth

bisous
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Darn straight. I actually buy all of my jeans there. I have to buy a ridiculously huge numerical size compared to my size at other nicer stores (Ann Taylor anyone?) but I LOVE the fit and can deal with the quality which is decidedly lower than in misses, I concur.

Actually, while I agree that the makeovers on WNTW are huge improvements I'm not 100% sold on the fashion advice they give. Mostly, they seem to dress everyone in the same, urban fancy type style that just doesn't fit my lifestyle at all. I'm a southern California jeans, t-shirt, flip flop wearing mama! (Maybe I need the show after all, LOL.

Jen

s7714
05-07-2007, 03:27 PM
>Actually, while I agree that the makeovers on WNTW are huge
>improvements I'm not 100% sold on the fashion advice they
>give. Mostly, they seem to dress everyone in the same, urban
>fancy type style that just doesn't fit my lifestyle at all.
>I'm a southern California jeans, t-shirt, flip flop wearing
>mama! (Maybe I need the show after all, LOL.

I've thought the same thing myself at times, but then I'm another SoCal mom here too. ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

klwa
05-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh, goody. Other people who agree with me. While I love their advice for working wear, the reality of wearing heels while chasing a two year old just seems nuts!

emmiem
05-12-2007, 02:16 PM
No, junior clothes fit my 17 yo and certainly not me. The tees are cheap, the tops way too trendy, and the jeans too low rise or pegged now. The clothes in the junior department are meant for one season wear. Teens are fickle and are always looking for the next new thing. I like tops that cover my upper arms slightly and don't cling to my tummy. I don't want logos or dumb messages.

I would take Chico's anyday.
Michele

kozachka
05-13-2007, 10:36 PM
I like Armani Exchange and an occasional piece from bebe, does that count as juniors dept? Also, when I shop at Marshalls, I make sure to check their juniors section as that's where the top brands t-shirts and jeans are often hiding. And I like Old Navy t-shirts.