PDA

View Full Version : Expecting #2 - What's new in maternity clothes?

CharmedOne
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
It has been almost 2 years since I last wore maternity clothes. I need to purchase new clothes since this little one will be born in the winter (DS was a summer baby). I didn't care much for what I wore last time (mostly basic tops from Motherhood Maternity) and am more than willing to spend money on good quality clothes that I can wear over and over.

What's good now? Where should I look (online and/or B&M)?

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif 23 months

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev028pr___.png

SnuggleBuggles
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm still new at pg this time around. My clothes from ds are sooo dated and ugly (5y ago); lots of lighter denim, some tapered pants, mostly basics. I am not willing to invest a lot of $ though since this is my last pregnancy. I just want to get through it with some basics- just cuter basics. I like Old Navy so far and some of the Target stuff.

Sorry, I know I'm not the right person to answer. :) I know about the designer clothes out there but I can't bring myself to pay for something so short term. I am already 15+ weeks and still wearing a lot of my normal clothes. I am very boring!

I plan to hit up fashionable friends that have been pg more recently than me to round out my basics. :)

That practical stuff said, who knows what reality will hold? I may get really bored with my clothes and decide to splurge. Currently I am obsessing about shoes. Shoes are a good pick b/c hopefully I can wear them after baby comes (feet didn't change last time so hopefully they won't this time!).

I could easily fall into this website:
http://www.bellydancematernity.com/

and Nordstrom's maternity stuff. :)

I am still trying to catch on to everything being below the belly vs full panel stuff that I had last time!

Beth

nupe
05-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I like Japanese Weekend. And I like some of the other brands at Belly Dance. Their outlet (outlet items are final sale) has great prices, so you it is not too great a leap to try something. They ship UPS and I usually get things quickly from them. I have called them to find out measurements on certain pieces, stretch, etc and they have always been helpful.

I have also bought NWT on ebay--there are several sellers who seem to have a lot of NWT items, and will measure specific things for me to help with the fit; since there is nowhere near me to get JW and brands like that. I have ended up with one item that doesn't fit, which is not bad overall.

I am finding that with brands like JW I look "pregnant" and not just fat, because the tops are fitted in the arms and chest as opposed to being more tentlike as I recall w/my previous pregnancy. I am starting over this time around w/wardrobe since I gave away all my maternity clothes after the last pregnancy and they ahve been given away to the point that I no longer know where they are!

No recs on B&M.

DrSally
05-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I found lots of good basics and some more fashionable items at old navy and target (Liz Lang). You have to go online to get more of a selection, but when things go on clearance, there are some great deals. I found that only buying a handful of more fashionable items worked for me b/c not working or getting out much, I didn't have much occasion to wear them. But it was sure nice to have a nicer sweater, shirt, or skirt when I did have something to go to. I think even the basics look more like regular clothes these days. H & M has a few items also.

SASM
05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Not sure if I am a good person to answer this question either since this is my last pregnancy and I have no intention of spending a lot on the wardrobe. I have been shopping quite a bit though since the bulk of this pg is in the summer vs the winter with my other two. I popped out a lot earlier with thisone that with bryn, which shocked me. I was in maternity stuff by Week 9, even though it was a size smaller than my normal maternity stuff. Okay...that being said, if youare in the same predicament and need summer stuff, I am living stappy tanks from Motherhood. They have a built in bra, unlike Target's. One piece that I DID invest in was a demin skirt from Gap b/c I will definitely wear it straight through, including post-partum. Target only carries Liz Lange (they d/c'd the other brand that they had back with your other pg) and I've been a little disappointed with the selection and quality, as opposed to two years ago when I bought tees for Bryn's pg (better quality). They're reasonably priced, though, so I cannot complain. Oh...good deals for their swimwear, though! At 23 weeks, I am also still living in my non-mat track pants. :)

Sorry about the novel. Other places that are starting to carry cute reasonably priced things, other than the Destination Motherhood/pregnancy stores, are Old Navy and Gap. Gap does have sales. :) IMO, H&M's Mama line does not reflect in ANY way the trendiness of their other "normal" lines...quite disappointing. Oh...if you have a Macy's near you, I think they switched over all of their interior Motherhood stores to Mimi Maternity boutiques, so you can take them home try them on and return them if they do not work, unlike the normal Mimi, Motherhood, etc stores.

Again, sorry about the novel. I hope that in all of this rambling, some of it helps. Like a PP mentioned, do not be afraid to ask friends if they have some pieces that you can borrow. A quarter of my maternity wardrobe is borrowed from Jera! :) Jera LOVES EBay NWT stuff, too ~ good deals! :)

C99
05-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Maternity has discovered lycra! Lots of things now are closer fitting and less likely to sag (until the very end, when everything sags). I found it worth it to invest in a few good pairs of jeans and wore lots of more form-fitting tops.

hillview
05-31-2007, 08:09 AM
I like Japanese Weekend also like the Isabella Oliver collection:
http://www.isabellaoliver.com/io/Shop

Most high end stuff I have found was from boutique shops (Bump in Boston).

Good luck!
/hillary

trales
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I loved Gap pants, they washed and held up really well, but the sizing is weird. I bought two of the same pants, one in black, one in blue and bought a 6 in one and an 8 in the other. They are the exact same size. I also loved J.C. Penney tops (I ordered online), they have lycra in them so they fit very nicely, and did not fade or stretch out with repeated washings. They say a size small fits a size 4-6, I usually wear a 6-8 and found the small fit fine, not tight at all. Same with the pants.

I found myself getting really hot in any synthetic clothes and I avoided things that needed to be dry cleaned.

I also had good luck at the consignment shops around Boston and Detroit.

Tracey

DD 9 weeks