PDA

View Full Version : Dumb fashion question

trumansmom
06-15-2007, 11:31 AM
As I'm losing weight (60 pounds so far!!!!), I've been digging into my old clothes bins. Much of the stuff is being ditched because a) high waist pants are icky, and b) at almost 42, I can't wear the same styles I wore in my early 30s! Anyway, the one thing I used to have a ton of, that I still like, are very long, straight skirts. I have denim ones, knit ones, wool ones, fleece ones, you name it. Are these remotely still in style? They are almost ankle length. I'm having fun replacing some stuff, but since I'm still losing, I'm really trying to wear old things as much as I can.

Thanks!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

alleyoop
06-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah on your 60lbs! What an accomplishment!

I just gave away a whole bunch of those also. I don't think skirts that long are in style unless they are full and crinkly. KWIM?

However, I don't think that shorter straight skirts are out of style, esspecially the winter-weight ones. You might want to have them taylored up to the best length for you (mid-knee or slightly above).

Of course, I could be wrong. I went to catholic school and blame my complete lack of fashion sence on wearing uniforms for all my young years. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Congratulations!!! :)

My gut says that they aren't in style. Best place for skirts to hit most women is just below the knee if you are tall, a bit above the knee (just a smidge) if you are short and at the knee for tall or average. Too long on a short woman can make her look stumpier. I don't think that very long is in style, especially long, straight. But, that is my gut plus lots of "What Not to Wear" watching plus monthly reading of "In Style."

I was last pg 5 years ago and my clothes were almost all too dated to rewear (especially the pants). Tapered legs and light wash denim. Eeek!

Maybe find some middle of the road price stuff at Target, Old Navy or a place like Marshall's/ TJ Maxx/ Steinmart. H&M has some great pull on, a line, elastic waist skirts for $14. Very comfy to wear in the summer and they hit right around the knee. :)

Beth

trumansmom
06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking. I used to feel long and lean when I wore them, now I feel short and stumpy! Isn't it funny how that works?

Oh well. I guess that just means more trips to Target! (Poor DH!!)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

nupe
06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I bought a long straight skirt from J Jill last fall (wearever collection) rayon fabric. I thought it looked nice last winter w/longer tunic length sweaters and shirts. I'm not very tall either--5'3". I think you should decide if you think the skirts are flattering on you or not.

oneplustwo
06-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Jeanne, I am the last person on earth to give fashion advice -- I just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss!!

Ceepa
06-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Jeanne,

Congrats on the weight loss. I'd say hang onto one or two of the skirts if they still fit. In the fall you can layer and wear with knee boots.

I have some pieces that I love and wear even though they're against the "don't wear anything that shortens you" mantra. Capris anyone?

-Ceepa

pb&j
06-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Jeanne, way to go!! I'm pretty sure Stacy and Clinton give a big thumbs down to long, straight skirts. But, if you feel great in 'em, I say give 'em a go.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Sillygirl
06-24-2007, 09:40 AM
On a frightening note, I think very high waisted pants are currently in. The Fug Girls have been fighting it, but a lot of celebs are wearing them.

madteaparty
06-25-2007, 06:05 PM
I rather like the high-waist pencil skirts that are coming back :) I do not think *I* can pull them off just yet, but I very much support the idea of them :) High waisted jeans, not so much.