PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if you're nursing...

JoyNChrist
07-25-2007, 01:40 AM
...and you can't wear a bra with a certain outfit?

I'm going to a wedding this weekend and have a gorgeous dress that I've been dying to wear. But I'm having bra issues. The dress is actually two layers...the bottom is a cream-colored spaghetti-strapped sheath, with an "overdress" of light gold vintage lace with crystals and seed pearls. When I wore it before I got pregnant, I just used one of those stick-on backless-bra things, because you can't use a bra with straps because they would show, and a strapless bra stuck out under the very thin sheath.

So what do I do now that I'm nursing? DS won't be with me, so I don't have to worry about access for feeding, but I do have to consider leaking. I don't know if the stick-on bra would work, since it might not contain leaks and also because my boobs are bigger than they were when I wore it before. I have some LilyPadz, but do you think these would contain leaks for all night? The way the dress is styled, I think I could go bra-less if the LilyPadz would work (I'm just an A-cup, even though I'm nursing...darn it! :P ). But if not, do you have any other suggestions?

I *really* want to wear this dress! It's absolutely gorgeous and perfect for a summer wedding, and DH loves it (plus, I'm happy that it fits again, lol). Oh, and I just bought some great new shoes that will look fabulous with it. So help, please! :-)

SnuggleBuggles
07-25-2007, 08:42 AM
It sounds gorgeous!!

I'm not seeing much chance for success though. But, let's see...If it were just the spaghetti straps I would probably say to throw something over your shoulders (cardigan, shrug...?).

Could you find some sort of camisole with built in bra that has straps the same color or a nude? That would work with the strap problem and give you somewhere to stick pads.

How long is the wedding and how often are you used to nursing ds? Just seeing the leak potential. I haven't tried the LP so I don't know how much you can rely on them- especially in a dress that would probably majorly show leaks.

If the cami would show up awkwardly at the bottom I would wear that. Maybe you could find a slip like that? But, yeah, I would try some nude silky (not cotton) cami on and see how that goes.

Beth

LBW
07-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I can't even imagine wearing a dress like that during my breastfeeding days, so I'm no help at all. But, good luck! It sounds like it will look fabulous if you can pull it off!

DrSally
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
I was just going to suggest the lilypadz, but see you have them. I never used mine, but have heard milk can pool in them. Maybe if you periodically empty them and reapply through the night??

deenass
07-25-2007, 07:15 PM
I was going to suggest the Lilypadz - I am a BIG leaker and these were GREAT!!!! I will warn you, some milk did pool in them, so you might want to figure going into the bathroom and "emptying" them if that happens. You might want to "practice" wih the Lilypadz (wear them for a day before you wear the dress so that you know what to expect.

They are GREAT!!!

Dcclerk
07-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Agreed. I would do a trial run with the Lilypadz first to see how long they would last for you, but I have really liked them-- especially for something like that. Have a great time at the wedding :)

kcampbell
07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Here's another one for Lily Padz- I had the same dilemma while nursing. I wore the LP and a little milk did pool but I had to pump (out in the car) while we were at the reception and just emptied and reapplied the LP, no problem at all. You could just do the same in the ladies room (emptying that is). Like the PP definatley do a trial run and see how it goes. Have a great time!