PDA

View Full Version : Review of shopping maternity selction for size 18 mom

birdie75
08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
As some of you may have read below I am first time mom who is normally in a size 16 womens or 18 regular. This is a challenging size for maternity. I am 5'6" and have a curvy hourglass type build, I tend to gain extra weight in my thighs. I was mostly looking for pants for a dressy corporate casual environment as I am a business development manager. This is what I have found/learned.

Gap (online) - Grade A-
Carries up to size 20. The size 20 and size 18 fit me. The material, quality, cut and pricing is inline with normal gap prices material. Excellent selection of pants for work. I purchased 2 pairs of flare pants at ~$50. You can return to the regular store with a 180 day return policy (90 days cash back 90 days store credit)

Old Navy (online & store) - B+
Carries up to size XXL. The XL and XXL fit me depending on the cut. The XXL tops are too big. The material, quality, pricing is inline with old navy so there are deals to be had here. They are better for casual/non-buisness wear. I bought 1 pair of pants ~$16 and a couple of tops. You can return to the regular store with a 180 day return policy (90 days cash back 90 days store credit)

Lane Bryant - A
Carries sizes 14-20 something. The 16 and 18 sizes fit me. 16 fits now but if I gain weight 18 would be better. Cut and fabric is the same as the normal Lane Bryant pants. The elastic was a little tighter then the other brands which I liked because I didn't feel like my pants were going to fall down in the rear. I bought 2 pairs of pants ~$23 on sale. Good selection of dress pants. Returns are via mail only but are free.

Motherhood - D
Quality and materials were aweful for the price. I have no problem with inexpensive materials but not for $40. There was only 1 acceptable looking pair of pants for work and no suits. I didn't like the belly panel that they have and there are not choices of other belly panels. Returns are only accepted for store credit... Translation no returns. I didn't puchase anything here.

Mimi - F
Only caries to size large. Nothing fit. Too bad since they had great looking professional clothing.

Target - B
Largest size is a 18. Some of the 18s fit some were a little too snug in the thighs (wearable but doesn't look good). Great prices. I purchased some capris that I love for $20. Not much for business wear. Usual Target return policy.

I hope that this helps some of the folks that are in a similar situation to myself. I am a little frustrated I had to order instead of going to a store, but I was able with some work to find some decent options.

SunGreen22
09-12-2007, 05:25 PM
That is so helpful. Your body type sounds just like mine, and I'm glad to hear what did and didn't work for you, along with the return policies. You just saved me from bothering with Motherhood or Mimi, which are both out of the way for me. Thanks!

calmandreposed
10-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I too am a sz. 14-16-18, but I'm a bit shorter (5'1''). I feel pretty much the same about the maternity selection at Old Navy and the Gap. I'm partial to Old Navy because I think Gap is just too expensive.

I do have an insider tip - Old Navy and the Gap, being the same company, both cut their clothes on a stack. This means that if you have 3 of the same item in the same size, all 3 will fit a little differently, based on where there were in the stack when they were cut (think of cutting a loaf of bread - generally you end up cutting on a diagonal even though you try to cut straight down). I would say try on a few of the same size before moving to the next size up or down - one of the couple you try on might fit better than the others. I try and do that with the pants especially since I have to get everything hemmed. A shorter pair is less likely to need total restructuring of the leg to get the flair to hit in the right spot.

I'm not as familiar with Target's maternity selection, though I'm sure I will be soon (I'm due in April).

As for Motherhood, I disagree. Let me just say though that I've never been in one of their stores so I have no experience with their return policy. Their clothes are also carried at department stores like Macy's which have a totally different return policy. The Macy's policy is 180 days for return or exchange with valid proof of purchase.

Quality-wise I think Motherhood is just fine. I'd say it's similar to Old Navy in that regard.

Hope that helped.

rds97
10-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info! I'm in the same boat. I've also heard JC Penney is a good source, so I'm going to try them as well.

- Rebecca S.