PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do a wardrobe plan?

KBecks
09-17-2007, 07:21 AM
I am working on this for Fall. I have done clothing rosters for the boys so they have an appropriate amount of clothes, not too much, Now I'm trying it for myself.

I've been shopping *hard* the last couple weeks and particularly now that my favorite dept store has a big sale going on all it's stuff (% off reg and sale price items). I'm now inventorying everything I've got to see how it's all going to work.

I saw a personal shopper earlier in the year and learned a few things even though I don't work with her now (she was offering too many black things, slightly too expensive things and a little older than I want to look items. When she showed me a top I could swear my best friend's mother wears, I knew I needed to strike out on my own.) But I learned that I need to shop for outfits and I need to think about what will go with what and search out combinations.

Anyway, I haven't listed out my whole closet yet. It's my goal to have a small but hardworking wardrobe where everything gets used. It was a great time after pregnancy to weed my closet and I realized with pregnancy clothes I could get by with fewer pieces (because I didn't want to put tons of money into pregnancy clothes.

Has anyone done their own wardrobe list? It may be a bit anal. But I hope to use it to see what I have and also realize what to keep and what to return or trash. And what I might need yet. I'm becoming anal about receipts so I can meditate a little when I get home and see how things work together and take things that don't fit in back.

I'm really happy with how my shopping is going. I lost weight and so needed all new pants for fall and winter and found a few pairs (still need to get to the tailor). I need clothes for my work in a business casual environment, church, church meetings, outings and play / housework. The dept store sale helped me get a backbone of a wardrobe together and some of it goes together as well as Garanimals.

The hardest parts for me was choosing what color I should get in some items if they are offered in more than one color. Right now I'm working on mostly brown/olive/turquoise/tan as my major colors, with some black, white and gray for a secondary theme to mix it up.

Now I've got the bases covered, at least that I have clothes that I can get out of the house in and feel good about. There's still work to do, I want at least one skirt and that appears it will be a real search to find something that works for me, I also need a pair of casual shoes and I need some more tops for work and play.

The play wardrobe seems to be more difficult because I need to find items that I know will get abused in my day to day life, cooking, playing with the kids, etc. etc. I get very dirty and I know these clothes may get stained. I've found a few things at Target and managed to get a couple inexensive pairs of pants that fit nice. Since this is my most used category of clothes I may need to build up that area a bit.

I have not yet advanced to real sophisticated dressing, ala What not to Wear. I do not know that I have the endurance or funds to keep shopping and get jewelry and more shoes to really have a wow effect and I'm not with it enough to have more than one handbag. My workout wear is really basic and bland. I'm still very much a beginner at all this. I could really use a coat and sunglasses.

I really hope to power through my inventory and power through some more shopping so I feel I'm well covered for all of fall/winter and spring and don't need to shop except for fun. It's also my hope that by getting organized and having clothes I'm happy with I can then avoid shopping and thinking about clothes and focus my energy on more important stuff.

I would like to do a makeup lesson soon if I can find the time.

This is my second time working on a wardrobe. I did pretty well for summer (with fewer clothes) and I learned from that experience some things about what worked and what didn't.

I realize I'm in a weird spot of doing a lot of shopping now because I'm starting with a near empty closet. Next years should be better because I'll have a better starting point.

I have found it works for me to have a "main" store where I focus my shopping. For me that is the department store with convenient locations, has a lot of brands and has FREQUENT sales. I am trying to only shop sales. They mail coupons all the time so I have lots of opportunities for discounts. I also can focus my time looking there and not have to run all over the mall. When I still have holes and I'm not finding something at my main store, then I'll search the rest of the mall. I've found that choosing a favorite store and learning their sales is working for me (thanks for the education, Gymboree!) My husband now has a favorite store too and I am on to their sale notices.

Anyway, I thought I'd share! I'd love to hear how others shop.

lovin2shop
09-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Karen,
Funny that you post this, as I was just thinking that I needed a wardrobe roster. I don't have one, but sure could use one! I have a closet full of clothes, and never anything to wear. Please do share if you find anything good, and I'll do the same.

daisymommy
09-20-2007, 08:50 PM
*Blush* I made one for myself :) I remember thinking "How silly is this?!" But I couldn't remember what I had in storage totes in the basement, and I was in the mood for fall shopping and didn't want to buy duplicates of things I already had...so I made one...and I liked it ;)

It's very basic, just like the kids version. In the outfits section I put a checklist for the colors of long sleeved tee's I wanted to have, pairs of jeans, pants, etc. and now I can just go down my "shopping list" so to speak and check it all off, and see what outfits I have.

Have fun, make one, you know you want to do it!

KBecks
09-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Mine is just a list in Word so far.

Puddy73
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I've just started one this year. It made me realize that separates were budget killers for me. I used to always go right to the sales racks and grab something in my size that looked okay, but I ended up with a bunch of mismatched stuff that I never wore. So, I went through my closet and weeded out stuff that I would probably never wear again, stuff that needed to be altered/repaired and stuff that needed a coordinating item. Then I made a specific list of what I needed, such as a new pair of brown pants for work and a red sweater to go with a particular skirt. I carry the list with me and only allow myself to buy things that are on the list. Saves lots of money and my closet is not overcrowded!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

StantonHyde
09-27-2007, 02:20 PM
When I was a young professional building a wardrobe, I had a wardrobe list. Then, twice a year, spring/fall, I would buy one suit and some coordinates. I stuck with basic colors: red, navy, black and khaki. I am totally Granimals for adults. I cannot match colors so I need basics. Then I would write up "outfits"--figuring out as many ways as I could to mix up my pieces. This kept me from wearing the same thing too much at work. I know this takes work, but I was on a tight budget and I needed to get the bang for my buck.

And now I am purging old clothes and figuring out what I can wear after having 2 children and being 42 years old and being 10 pounds heavier than when I was 32--and accepting it because I work out like crazy and eat well, so this is it :-) So I feel your pain (and excitement) for rebuilding. My guiding principal has always been my mother's addage "What is in style is what looks good on you". To whit: everyone has flat front pants now and they keep telling me I'll look great. I have big quadriceps (front of thigh)--always have. I look ridiculous in flat fron anything (even when I was 20!)so I have to find pants with pleats. oh well.

I would encourage you not to powershop--but to get your basics and then add pieces twice a year. I add color pieces--like light blue, pink, royal blue, purples (I have a fair complexion and am blonde/blue so I look best in colors with blue vs yellow undertones).

As for casual-I love Dockers twills. I am hard on my play clothes and these pants last a while and are cheap.

Workout wear: I do not waste money on getting something "cute"--I'm just gonna sweat in it fer cryin out loud. I will spend money on function--wicking microfibers that keep me cool and dry. Try www.roadrunnersports.com for good running/active stuff. Title 9 is a clothing company and sells great active wear--I love their winter running pants. Again, I started with basics and bought more as I could.

If you do shop at one store, try another personal shopper. My mom had a "connection" who knew what she liked and would even hold things for her.

My downfall is "dressy casual" or date night wear. I can do work clothes or play clothes but finding the right middle of the road and being willing to spend money on clothes I don't wear too often is hard for me.

jvs195
09-28-2007, 07:43 PM
WOw you all are inspirations. I have tons of clothes and seem to always be giving away stuff and have nothing to wear. I really need to get it down on paper and see what I need. Tim Gunn's 10 staples inspired me too. I am totally the victim of bargain separates that go with nothing. Please keep updating this, I need ideas. Thanks.

lovelytwins
10-01-2007, 09:31 PM
I am in the process of cleaning my closet too. I am guilty of having a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear. Anyway, I'm inspired by Tim Gunn's Guide to Style and went with his 10 basic items as backbone. I found a perfect seasonless trouser from Macy's last week. Love it! I also bought a nice denim skirt. I know I will wear it a lot - work with all seasons and great with kids. Keep us updated.