PDA

View Full Version : Maternity winter jacket/coat?

oakland
09-26-2007, 08:03 AM
I am due with #1 at the end of December, and will need a maternity winter coat for sure (I live in the NY/NJ area). Any suggestions on cute and fashionable winter coats for preggo ladies? Thanks!

birdie75
09-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I have the same problem. I am due in at the end of Jan. No maternity place I have found has winter coats out yet. This year many places are showing swing coats for fall / winter so I am hoping that I can get by with one of those.

Piglet
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I had 2 winter coats since I am in Canada and we have warm winter days and cold winter days (both are cold, but some are colder). I found a really nice puffy warm winter coat at Old Navy a few years back and they tend to carry them every year. The other coat was more stylish and better for work - I got it at Target in December in San Diego (why they need winter coats in SD, is beyond me). There are also usually nice coats for work at the Gap - a bit on the pricey side, but they have sales.

ETA: Links - http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6037&pid=519652
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6037&pid=521481
http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=38020&pid=526916&scid=526916002

bubbaray
09-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't get too warm a coat. I was super HOT the last trimester (after FREEZING the first 2, even in summer).

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Piglet
09-26-2007, 05:16 PM
LOL, I am the coldest pregnant person in the world! I was freezing for all 3 trimesters in 2 out of 3 pregnancies (the first one I was due in July, so I was boiling by the end). I was searching everywhere for a nice maternity turtleneck when I was PG with DD and the maternity store employee looked at me like I was crazy!

jvs195
09-29-2007, 07:23 AM
I had DS in Jan and got by with a lined trench for the entire pregnancy. It was Gap, but I think I got it on ebay NWT. Didn't need anything warmer as I had layers (DS, fluid, fat, oh and sweaters)

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2007, 07:40 AM
I'd personally be looking for a bargain since you only need to get to the end of December/ or first 2 weeks of January ;). I'd check out consignment stores or just look into a men's coat- you can donate it when you are done. Does your partner have one you could steal? That's my plan. :)

I did see some nice looking ones in Mimi Maternity yesterday though if you want something new and cute. :) Old Navy has some decent ones too.

Beth

calmandreposed
10-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I live in Chicago and I'm not due until April, so I too really do need a winter coat. I bought mine on this past Saturday at Macy's. I have been keeping my eye out for maternity outerwear, but honestly I've seen virtually nothing, even though every department store is paced to the gills with all kinds of severe winter wear.

I checked Sears, hoping for a bargain and they had nothing - not to mention their maternity section was literally 2 racks of over priced crap.

The Gap has some great options on their website - some are very stylish and others more playful. But, I have yet to see any in stores, and they top out at about $125, which for something I'm going to be wearing for probably 5 months (if not more - you just never know in Chicago)and then most likely either never need again or not need for another 3 years it's just too much to spend.

There is an absolutely gigantic Old Navy near me (3 floors and approx. 1/2 a city block, anyone?) and they don't have winter coats either. Their website shows only 2 or 3 styles and they're about $78. One of the styles also claims to hit below the knee, but on the mannequin in the picture it looks like it would be mid-thigh based on where her bump is. P.S. I just checked and all their winter coats are available only online.

Target's website doesn't even have Outerwear as a subsection for their Liz Lange Maternity collection. I checked the Blazers + Jackets, and there are a few hoodies and a cutsie cropped puff sleeve jacket, but nothing for winter. I'm not too familiar with what is in stores right now, but I'd imagine there aren't any coat options there either.

However, there is hope! The Macy's on State Street here in Chicago (formerly the Field's flagship store) has not only an impressive maternity section compared to other department stores, but has SEVERAL winter coat options. I saw at least 3 or 4 different winter coats in various styles and lengths.

This was a total breakthrough for me since I don't want to be caught in the middle of November not being able to fit into my normal coat any more (which is grimy and very utilitarian). I also am wary of buying maternity anything (and really clothing in general) without being able to familiarize myself with the sizing tendencies of the brand (like I know Old Navy's pants tend to run a little big, so I can generally feel comfortable buying a size down). Being able to try the coat on in the store actually proved immensely helpful.

I chose the Motherhood Maternity heather gray pea coat with hood and toggle closures. I'm in love with it. It was $69.98, which seems like a lot considering my last coat purchase was a $30 down coat at KMart. However, it's absolutely stylish - it can go easily to the office or be totally casual for the weekend.

It's shell is made of 57% wool, 26% Rayon, 11% Polyester, and 6% "Other Fiber," and the lining is silky soft black 100% Polyester and the coat is Dry Clean Only. It's light weight and roomy which is perfect for the all important pregnancy layering of cami, t shirt, l/s shirt, and sweater. there is no zipper up the front, just 4 toggles, and a button at the top, but that's fine with me - it seems like that would be much roomier than a zipper for the ever-expanding belly. The detailing on it is fabulous from square patches covering the places where the toggles are sewn down to streamlined seams down the front to help make it look like I still have some semblance of a waist. The hood is just the right size - big enough to still wear a hat underneath, but not so big that it's totally nonfunctional. There are cute patch pockets on the front too which are just the right size for mittens and a phone or keys. he neckline is just right too - not constricting and plenty of room for a scarf.

As for the fit, I'd say buy a size up. I'm 5'1'' with short arms and I tend to wear a size 14/16 in pants. I generally buy coats in a L, but when I tried the L on at the store it just didn't seem to have enough room for a big old bump. Then I tried on the XL with the silly little strap on belly pillow they have at Macy's, and it was perfect. I even stuffed an extra sweater or two under there since you never know just how big you'll get, and it was still roomy enough to wear a sweater (and I even tested that theory!). I will need to get the sleeves hemmed, but that's not out of the ordinary for me.

I really like that it's wool, so it's warm, but it's also light weight so I won;t be sweltering on the subway.

I would definitely recommend this coat to other cold-climate preggos.

Good luck in your search!

P.S. I think my FAVORITE thing about the coat I bought is that right now and when it first starts to really get cold, my belly will still be pretty small, but the coat is cut so that it's still really cute and doesn't look absolutely massive. It just looks kind of A-Line which is also really hip right now in coats.

C99
10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I had a Gap maternity one from last year. I bought it around November and wore it through mid-April when I had my baby. It was worth it to not freeze my bum off in Chicago's winter. I'll be selling it on SWAP one of these days.

Kindra178
10-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I second the Gap one. I got it for about $30 dollars two falls ago. i think they go on sale in November.

lovin2shop
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the review on the Motherhood coat. I just bought it and really like it as well. I usually avoid that store like the plague, but this coat seemed to be fairly well made and a good value. I am fairly petite and maternity coats seemed to engulf me, but my belly is quite large so I can't just skip maternity altogether. This coat seems to do a good job of staying small on top but allowing plenty of room for belly growth. Sleeves are little long for me too, but that is always the case in any coat I try. Now, I just need it to actually get cold in Dallas to wear it! I'm not totally sure that I really needed to purchase a full winter coat, but I have fears of freezing MAO in December and having no coats available by the time it actually gets cold.

SASM
10-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Mine wasn't maternity but it worked quite well for my two winter pregnancies. It was a "fitted" charcoal gray stetchy wool button down ~ I bought it from Marshall's/TJM several years ago. I smelled like a wet dog when it rained or when the snow melted on my coat BUT it was stretchy, cute, and fit over my bulky sweaters. Oh...and I lived in upstate NY at the time ~ harsh winters.

tweetykl
10-21-2007, 06:18 PM
I am due in March. I bought a sweater at Old Navy and was not going to buy a coat but my mother disagreed with me, thankfully. She bought me a size larger Columbia Sportswear jacket and it seems to have plenty of room. It has felt great the last few days with our wind and rain storms that have been quite chilly.