PDA

View Full Version : My Friend is a Genius (Nursing Bras)

Piglet
10-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I was just talking to a good friend of mine that had her 5th(!!) a few weeks ago. We got to talking nursing bras and she told me that she is a hard to fit size (double FF or higher) and she just buys good bras and gets them altered. She showed me a few and they are great! They are the style and shape she likes, but she took them to a seamstress here and had her cut the strap and add the nursing clasp. She came from a different city and she said that all her friends were doing it, but when she took it to the seamstress here, they looked at her like she was nuts. After a bit of explanation, the seamstress did it for her and it is great!

Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone that is having a hard time finding a nice nursing bra.

sand82552
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
That is a great idea, I remember how frustrated after DD was born trying to find a nice/supportive bra to go out in that still allowed me to nurse her easily!

I think I may try that this time

calebsmama03
10-25-2007, 05:02 PM
There are instructions on how to do this yourself easily on the sleeping baby productions website (formerly rev. Jan slings - can't recall the exact URL, but it 's under the craft patterns)
ETA here
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html

knaidel
10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I've heard of ppl doing this, but recently, my sister saw this advertised: brasnyc.com. They sell bras and will convert a bra that you buy from them to nursing for $12. My guess is that you can't return them once they've been converted, so you'll probably want to only do this with a bra that you know fits you well. They have a pretty good selection of brands, looks similar to the selection you'd find in any well stocked dept store or specialty shop.

nupe
09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Calebsmama03: Thanks for posting the website. I can't wait to try this out. So tired of my nursing bras, and I'd like some more support!

ThreeofUs
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Finally, a reasonable solution! Thank you all for posting. I hate nursing bras, even my nice ones, and I will be following this route to see if it generates a bra I like with the support I need.

ShanaMama
09-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, yes, yes. I buy bras locally from a WAHM who only sells top quality bras. She fits me & then converts it herself for $5.

nupe
10-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I did it! I bought the supplies from the place in LA, and had a seamstress add the clips and lingerie elastic to my regular bras and now they are FABULOUS nursing bras. And the total spent was certainly less than trial and error with nursing bras via mail order, since I Haven't found one i love for this time in nursing, about a year out.