PDA

View Full Version : Angry, Scared, Confused: I'm Caving into Crocs

Fairy
10-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I have maintained since the beginning of this silly-ass shoe fad that these are the ugliest shoes on the face of the planet and that they are, make no mistake, Japanese Toilet Shoes -->

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Travel/Japan/Misc/Toilets/index.html (try not to pee while you laugh so hard you will cry)

http://www.edbrill.com/ebrill/edbrill.nsf/dx/what-a-crock

However ... and this is hard for me ... however, I - I - I am - I am buying a pair of crocs this week. Here's the thing. This summer I noticed the flip flops and sandal crocs, which are adorable. Not the ugly tops with the stupid holes. These are really cute. So, I have the sandals, and I cannot deny how comfy they are. Super duper comfy. Like wow. Style and not being ugly, however, are important to me, and I have other comfy shoes. Now, last month I had a car accident, and I damaged the tendon on the bottom of my foot, and as a result, I've got a heel spur, which hurts like you have no idea. Fine during the day, but unbearable in the morning. Typical heel spur. I tried wearing the croc sandals thru the day, and the spur is better and better, and in the AM when I CANNOT WALK, I can with the crocs.

So, I'm buying a frakkin' pair. I just wanted to mention this. Because I need someone to tell me it's ok and that I'm not weak.

And where to go for a good selection of styles/colors.

Sob.

trumansmom
10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Get the "Alice" ones. They almost look like normal mary janes. :)

Shoebuy.com is a good place, or if you want to do local, I know our Macy's carries them.

It's okay. I'm wearing some right now. I hate how ugly they are, too, but love how comfy they are! What I don't understand is how they look so silly on me, but look so cute on my kids.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

daisymommy
10-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Don't worry, we understand :) I thought they were totally ugly too, but then caved and bought two pairs this past Summer due to their undeniable comfi-ness. I haev the Mary Janes in pink (gasp, I know, but I decided to have fun with the whole thing while I was at at!), and a pair of the original Cayman style in olive green since I wear so many neutral colors. They did look quite manly on me however, so I have them to my husband--who said he would never wear them, but now loves them ;)

So, I have since decided that most of us gals know deep down they are ugly too, but wear them anyway. So go for it, and walk in comfort!

s7714
10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
ROFL! I'd never heard the toilet shoe relationship before.

My DD has been asking for a pair everytime she sees them since most of her little friends seem to have them. Luckily(?) for both of us our feet are fairly narrow so she literally can not keep them on her feet. I do admit that I thought about getting her a pair of the MJs since they weren't quite as ugly, but those didn't stay on her feet any better either.

Just buy yourself a pair and say it's so you can join in the laughs a few years down the line when everyone is laughing about the croc trend. You know, moon boots, high top tennies, a different colored Converse on each foot, ... all the good trends are bound to come to an end at some point in time! ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

MarisaSF
10-23-2007, 01:12 AM
I think they are ugly.

I don't think they're all that comfy.

And yet I own a pair. :P

Truth be told, I don't think they are very comfortable for walking around outdoors. However, I like using them as in-the-house slippers. They offer a lot of cushion for walking on hard tile floors.

nfowife
10-23-2007, 08:01 AM
So for the mary-jane owners, do you wear them with socks in the winter? I'm thinking about getting a pair of the MJ's for myself, but obviously can't wear them barefoot when it's 30 degrees outside. I just don't know about pairing them with socks, though.

Fairy
10-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Yes, following on from nfowife, what is the conventional wisdom regarding socks? I did alot of looking last night online, and I think I'm settling on a pair of celery regular ones, and then a neutral colored pair of either Mary Janes or the "Alice" ones. Can I wear any of these with socks? What color socks? For the regular "Cayman" style crocs, since they're -- well, what they are -- can you wear them with anything and it's accepted? Like jeans to khakis to lounge / workout pants?

Also, what is a good place to get these? There's a kiosk in the mall, but I know for a fact those are full price, and I got the sandals for alot less at Dicks. But will ####'s have a good variety and all the styles and colors?

Fairy
10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I got a pair of neutral earthy brownish/grayish crocs with the fuzzy insides. They don't look that bad, actually. However, I also got a pair of classic Caymans ("classic" with Crocs seems like an oxymoron. Alas ...) in Celery Green. I have decided to fill the holes with jibbits to make me feel better about it. However, I am going to possibly return them, as they didn't have my size in the purple I actually wanted, so I'm gonna try another ####'s tomorrow first, and return them if I find 'em.

Crocs still ugly, still I bought them, world still here . . .

Feet somehow happier . . .

alleyoop
10-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Aw yes, these will help you! I have developed a nasty case of Planter Fasciites (pretty similiar pain to spur, I believe) and they are a godsend. I literally put them by my bed at night, put them on in the morning (before my feet even hit the floor) and only change into real shoes to go out. Just standing in the shower with bare feet is a problem, so I might just wear them in the shower, also. :) I could use more arch support, but they are comfy and work well in all places but public. I wonder if they make a more supportive pair then the Caymens? I could use a bit more support.

I have light blue and love their butt-ugly little souls!

Good Luck to you and your spur!