PDA

View Full Version : fashion divas, please help!

JenaW
11-14-2007, 02:10 PM
DH's boss (he is an anesthesiologist - so the chair of the dept of anesthesia) is hosting a dinner for all of the new attendings and spouses. I thought I could wear a nice pair of pants (thinking maybe a pair of tweed wool banana republic) and a nice fitted cashmere black t-neck. I bought DH a black/grey argyle sweater and he has a nice pair of dark grey wool Kenneth Cole pants. We are TOTALLY a jeans and tee-shirt couple. We DO NOT fit in with the "high society" crowd, as DH calls them! In fact, I usually hvae to remind DH what fork to use, to put his napkin on his lap (ok not really) and chew with his mouth closed (seriously!!). I asked him to check with the boss' secretary and find out the "dress code" and what we could bring for boss and wife. DH instead talked to some of the other guys who were planning on wearing suits! YIKES! I guess they DID send us a formal invite (printed on card stock adn everything). I think DH and the others agreed on dressy sweaters and jackets. DH doesn't even own a sports coat. he does have several suits, but I think all are too dressy to pull of as a "sports coat". I am hoping we can find one that works with his dr. grey pants (would black work) so he can still wear what I had planned ofr him. SO, where does this leave me? Can I still wear what I was, or do I need to wear a dress/skirt? PLease help!! I have nothing that fits right now. I have lost about 25 pounds in the past several months and I seem to be in between sizes. A 12 or L is clearly too big in nearly everything, but a 10 or M is way too tight (or too short - I am about 5ft 7in - NOT skinny - I still weigh around 152ish). I don't even know how to put things together anymore. I am a 31 yo mom of 4 kids (whom I had in 3 1/2 years). My days are spent in sweats/velour pants. "Dressing up" is jeans and a sweater and something other than sneakers. Even church clothes rarely consist of anything more than a nice pair of pants and a sweater (I am still nursing Lexi).

So, if anyone is bored and wants to find some nice outfits for me to try, please help! Or if you have any ideas, or have seen anything. The dinner is Saturday, so I would have to go to a B&M store.

Thanks!!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2007, 02:41 PM
That's a toughie. You could totally do up what you have with the right jewelry and some great shoes (and of course dressier make up and hair- just polished, not over the top).

I think if you just paired the shirt with a skirt that would up the level too. I would probably just go to H&M (if you have one near by) since you don't want to invest in much. A nice A-line, knee length would be fine.

I do think you can get away with what you have though.

Just my take.

No recommendations as I haven't been real clothes shopping in so many months (due in a week). I can't wait to see what there is to buy! If I think of anything though I will post it. :)

Beth

momtoonegirl
11-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Is the dinner at the Chairman's home or at a restaurant? If it is at a restaurant, it may be a more formal affair than if it were hosted at his home.

Either way, you could wear a dark pantsuit with the cashmere t-neck, and accessorize with some nice jewelery and shoes. A black pantsuit, or a jacket to match the pants that you had mentioned are options you could consider.

A "little black dress" is always an option, and would be appropriate in any setting.

HTH, and have fun! :-)

JenaW
11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Beth ~

Ha ha. "Dressier hair and make-up!" I have the unruliest curly hair which right now has about 15 shades of blonde/brown in it. I am hoping that my cousin (a hair dresser) can help me even it out tomorrow. My make-up (when I wear it) consists of mascara and lip balm. I wouldn't even know where to start on that one. Jewelry is pretty much limited to my wedding rings and a watch. I do own a nice pair of diamond studs...that's it.

I do have a nice pair of black heels. I can't really walk in them, but hopefully i won't have to do a ton of walking. Thanks for your advice though. I trust your fashion knowlege. I love what you have posted for others in the past, and you seem to know what you are talking about.

Good luck in the upcoming days/weeks!!!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

JenaW
11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
momtoonegirl

It IS at his house. I never thought about a suit for me. Would that work if DH is in a jacket over a sweater? I do have some suits leftover from my "career" days as a physician assistant. Oh, and the little black dress....I picked up one at the Gap recently. It is very lightweight (almost tee shirt material) but with an interesting neck line and cute cap sleeve. I might be able to make that work.

ARGH. THis is so stressful. (And we haven't even begun to think about the Holiday Party yet!). SIGH. I am so out of my element when I am out of jeans/sneakers!!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

momtoonegirl
11-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Since it is at his home, a pantsuit and the sweater you have, paired with the shoes you mentioned and the earrings sounds fine, especially since you have them already. It would work fine with what your DH is wearing.
You can always take off the suit jacket when you arrive, if it gets warm or the atmosphere seems less formal. It seems as if the Chairman wants to have an occasion where it feels somewhat festive and formal (the formal invitations), yet warm and comfortable (having it at his home). The pantsuit (in your case) and the sport coat (in DHs case) have a more formal appearance, yet can be removed if desired (depending on the feeling/mood/etc. of the gathering once you are there).
I saw this black dress on the Ann Taylor Loft website. Looks like a dress you could dress up or down (might consider it for the holiday party if it isn't an after 5 occasion requiring cocktail gowns).
http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=8501&N=0&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=black+dress&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&found=25&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses#ATLtop

Try not to stress too much about it. You and DH will look fine! Have fun and good luck :-)

aliceinwonderland
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I honestly would not wear pants to such an event. But then I rarely wear pants myself, so my perspective would be skewed. At any rate, what is your budget? Banana Republic is having a F&F sale right now, and they have several black dresses that would work IMHO. For example, tehre is a tie neck one that is absolutely gorgeous and quite flattering. They have it on the site, but it is hard to see the detail--I had to see it in store to appreciate. It has a little belt too. In my experience, their stuff runs huge. Best of luck.

ETA: if you have an H&M nearby, they have a knock-of of the galaxy dress of a few year back(square neck, fitted) comes in black and gray. It was under $50. Runs true to size to small.

MamaMolly
11-14-2007, 04:16 PM
What is that old saying? When you are trying to decide if you should wear a skirt or pants, carefully consider your options and then choose the skirt. You really can't go wrong in a skirt or dress and I always prefer to be overdressed than underdressed. I think the black dress you described sounds great.

But that said, f you are planning to save it for your holiday party dress (with the same people) then I'd maybe go for the pants outfit. The fabrics seem really heavenly, and I think if you wear it with your pretty earrings and heels it will look really nice.

Now as for makeup and hair, it sounds like you have the hair thing covered. For your makeup you could get a nice tinted moisturizer, like the one from Nutrogena. It is easy to use because it is pretty much like lotion. Then while you are at the drugstore getting that, why not grab some tinted lip gloss or lip balm. The tinted kind lets your natural lip color show through so it will automatically match your skin tones. That and a swipe of black mascara and you are good to go!

Have fun!
Molly

aliceinwonderland
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
>What is that old saying? When you are trying to decide if you
>should wear a skirt or pants, carefully consider your options
>and then choose the skirt. You really can't go wrong in a
>skirt or dress and I always prefer to be overdressed than
>underdressed.

This is so very true.

JenaW
11-14-2007, 05:21 PM
ugh. My post was lost. ANyways...thanks Aliceinwonderland and Molly for your help too.

Alice - where can I get a F&F code for Banana? Is there a coupon online to use in-store, or is it like Gap in that I need to receive one in person? I was planning on going there tomorrow, and I'll definitely chekc out H&M too.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

Maromy
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I really like the ATL dress, I may get that myself for my holiday events. I think it would look nice and polished with some accessories. But, I am a jeans and tee girl myself, not a fashion diva at all.

Good luck!

Amy

DD 7-04

aliceinwonderland
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
You probably have to ask one of the sales associates and hope for a nice one :( I have only tried to ask for it and a different store, and have had no problems, and the BR SA's seem nice enhough...I do not have one or I would pass it along because I am all shopped out until December, LOL

There were a few floating online, but 1. I have not tried them, 2. it would not get there by Sat.

sadie427
11-15-2007, 12:21 AM
IMO dressy pants would be perfectly appropriate for you too. I'm an R3 and have been to similar events, dressy pants or a pantsuit with a nice top would be fine. BR had some nice bright silky tops recently.

maylips
11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
I am a pants person and I think what you've described is perfect. Black always seems dressier, anyway, and you've got really nice fabrics. Of course, a LBD is always in fashion, but honestly, you have to feel great in whatever you're wearing. I've seen the most gorgeous dresses on people who were clearly not comfortable in them and the dresses worn them instead of the other way around. So if you're not a dress person, don't try to be one or you'll just feel awkward all night and you guys need to enjoy yourselves!

And I also think the black suit jacket would work fine with the gray KC pants for your DH, as long as the jacket's fabric isn't too dressy. It's a good way to dress it down.

From what you've described, you guys are going to look fantastic!

And I disagree with the PP's in that I think it's better to be underdressed (but still tasteful) than overdressed. If you're overdressed, you look like you're trying too hard. Which is why I always go back to how you can't go wrong with black cashmere. Invest in fun, funky earrings and great shoes that you can walk confidently in!