PDA

View Full Version : Do you still wear nylons?

Fairy
11-21-2007, 01:01 PM
The panty hose post got me wondering. I realized two years ago to my utter horror that I was the only one I knew that was still wearing nylons with skirts. I wear skirts to work often. I was actually getting weird looks from people that were obviously, "you look ridiculous, how old ARE you, anyway?" Like as if I was still wearing big hair or some other long-ago fashion fad. So, I stopped wearing them, along with short skirts altogether. Now, I'll wear sheer spanx with a knee-length skirt, no bare legs, but it has to be the right outfit, and I avoid it at work where I guess I appear old. Looking forward to your thougths.

ellies mom
11-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Do you mean nylons as in the ones you buy at the grocery store that come in colors like "Sun tan"? In that case, no, never. I do wear "nude" hosiery for the occasional formal type thing but usually I wear sheer or opaque black ones.

g-mama
11-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Never wear 'em and haven't in years.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I wear things like this with skirts or dresses in the winter:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/pickcolor.jsp?id=prod1034668&CATID=100878&skuid=sku1034658&V=G&ec=frgl_wic&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku1034658

In warm weather I go bare legged.

Sometimes I wear opaque tights. Depends on the outfit.

Beth

kozachka
11-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I guess it depends on your workplace but given the fact that I am expected to wear a suit with pumps four days a week and on Friday if there is client meeting, I'd look out of place if I did not wear pantyhose. In summer, I go without as it is simply too darn hot. And in winter I prefer opaque tights.

You got me curious, what is nylons and how is sheer spanx (I though it was a brand of control undergarments) differ from those?

Piglet
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I wear nylons but I prefer tights or bare legs. In the summer, definitely bare legs. In the winter, I wear nylons if I am wearing a suit, or something dressy. Otherwise, I wear skirts with tights. I just had this conversation with my mom this past summer - she ALWAYS wears knee highs in the summer and nylons in the winter. I don't even own a pair of knee highs. I don't get them at all! I told her they dated her. She didn't take kindly to that... but a few times I caught her bare legged after that chat, LOL!

Marina

Mommy to
DS1 A 07/14/01
DS2 K 03/10/05
DD1 A 05/08/07

http://by.lilypie.com/Jz7Qm6/.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UqL2m6.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/O20wm6.png

Fairy
11-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Nylons and panty hose are the same thing. I've always called them nylons more often than panty hose. Or sometimes I jsut say hose. Sorry for the confusion.

I do wear tights in winter, but my legs are so white they're pasty pink, and they have scars, so I prefer to wear sheer hose. My feet get very stinky, not to mention blisters, if i try to stick them bare feet into pumps. So, I'm stuck with nylons. I tried the no-show sock liek things, and they SHOWED.

I wonder if you never wear nylons how old you are? I think the Gen-Y folks and below are the "never" folks. I'm Gen-X, so I feel stuck between the "they're dated and stupid looking and I don't wanna wear them" and the "it's totally inappropriate to show up with bare legs."

Sigh.

Puddy73
11-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I always wear them to work, even in the summer time. IMO it looks weird to have bare legs with pumps and a suit. I seldom wear casual skirts or shorts because I don't like to show off the road map of spider veins and varicose veins on my pasty legs.

Jennifer
Mommy to Bunny & Pumpkin

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

JoyNChrist
11-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Only for job interviews, funerals, and weddings.

I'm 21, so that might give you an opinion from a different demographic.

elliput
11-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Only when I wear a dress, and I only wear dresses on formal occasions which I only attend once in a blue moon. I haven't worn hose in just over two years. For work, I always wear pants even on the hottest and most humid days.

new_mommy25
11-25-2007, 07:35 AM
I haven't worn hose since 2002 when my job required it. That was when I lived in Seattle. Now I live in a state that is super casual. The only men that wear suits are usually lawyers.

daniele_ut
11-25-2007, 04:48 PM
If I wear a dress or skirt to work I am required to wear hose or tights according to our dress code. I occasionally see women trying to get away with knee highs under longer skirts and it drives me crazy!

I don't really have the legs to go bare legged even in the summer. I am also pasty white and have scars, so I usually wear ultra sheer buff hose to church, which is usually the only time I wear skirts.

bubbaray
11-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, I have to wear them to work for court. Or meetings.

I've never thought it makes me look old. I just figured it prevented me from getting yelled at by a judge for inappropriate courtroom attire....

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007