PDA

View Full Version : Fun patterned opaque tights for Moms??

JenaW
11-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Do these exist? I have looked EVERYWHERE I can think of. The store assoicates look at me like I am crazy when I ask...am I?? I have several knee-length (plus or minus an inch or two) skirts that I would love to wear in the warmer winter days - grey cord, denim, etc. I would love to find some warm, striped, funky colorerd, or otherwise patterned tights to wear under them, similar to what my girls are wearing from TCP, H&M, target. I have TONS of socks (knee high and above the knee) that fit the bill, but am worried about that stretch of bare skin above my knee when I sit. For instance, I thought I could pair my dark grey cord skirt with a black T-neck and some striped (shades of blue or pink??) tights for some color? Would I look crazy? Should I just give up my skirts for winter or does anyone have any other ideas where I can find these???

TIA

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

kozachka
11-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Jera, I don't think you are crazy, just funky ;), which is great. I've seen many types of patterned black warm tights and some colored ones where I live but it won't help you since I am not in the States right now. Hopefully someone will chime in with sources but I distinctly remember a post in than RL re a web-site selling patterned tights for children as well as adults. I think it also sold mocs similar to Hanna's. You can try doing a search.

In the meantime you could wear your skirts with black striped and plain opaque tights. That's what I do. Quite honestly I can't imagine myself wearing blue striped tights, I am not that funky and I don't have the legs for the horizontal stripes.

ETA: Knowing how busy you are with 4 kids, I did a seach for you and here's the link to the site: http://www.kidsfashionbrokers.com/lacowoti.html and to the original post:http://tinyurl.com/2axpjd
Hopefully you'll find something you like there :).

Ceepa
11-25-2007, 04:49 PM
A finky look that would address covering that strip of skin woyuld be to wear opaque tights and then wear tall socks over them.

It's a daring look, but if you have the legs and the inclination, you should try it!

-Ceepa

JenaW
11-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Elena and Ceepa -

Thanks for the suggestions and links (I'm off to check them out now)!

I did a quick search of my own (giving up nap time - which should have been "Mommy's folding laundry time" and instead was "mommy's buying Daily Tea for the girls and socks for herself" time!!). I found this site - www.sock-dreams.com and ordered some longer knee and above the knee socks ($6 ea and free shipping!) in neopolitan stripes, and wide pink and grey stripes. We'll see how they work. Ceepa - I think I may try your idea of wearing opaque tights with the socks over them if it is not too heavy/thick on my legs.

Honestly, we'll see how good they look when I get them. I wear funky striped socks alot, but the only time I have worn them without pants covering them was when I was hospitalized with Natalie and in labor with Lexie. I am NOT skinny, but I have lost about 50lbs since I was in labor. People made positive comments on them then, but I was lying in bed, not strolling down Main Street wearing a skirt over them. I guess I did not think too hard about horizontal stripes and how flattering they would (or would not) be. Hmmmm. We'll see what DH says when they come in. Otherwise, I will just have more socks to add to my collection! I am NOT funky...that is the problem. I am not sure I am "hip" enough to pull this look off. I am just sick of being in a jeans/tneck sweater rut and looking for something more fun. However, I AM a bit scared of getting laughed at by the other preschool and grocery store moms.....

Thanks!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

trumansmom
11-25-2007, 06:02 PM
I saw some fun argyle ones today. I'm trying to remember where! I think it was TJ Maxx, but it may have been Kohls. I was wishing I was funky enough to carry them off. Sadly, I am not. ;)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

kozachka
11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
This site, i.e. www.sock-dream.com, has too much of a selection LOL! It made my head spin when I was trying to locate the socks you bought.

And don't worry. I am not funky at all, I am turtleneck and jeans kind of girl, too. But lately I've been trying new things and liking it. Most girls in my office think I have good fashion sense :eyeroll. I figured, if not now (I am in my early 30s), than when IYKWIM? In the worst case scenario, you'll have more socks to wear under your pants and around the house ;). If you do have a pair of Dr. Martens or other heavy boots, try pairing them with colourful socks. You have to 'own' this look and not think of other moms. Easier said than done.

Good luck and let us know how you like your socks.

thomma
11-25-2007, 07:20 PM
A woman that I teach with got her funky tights from Claires in the mall. Don't know if they're online.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

JenaW
11-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Elena -
The site IS crazy. I linked to a page with all knee and over the knee socks through my google search, but when I went back to the home page, I could not find ANYTHING. Here are the links to the ones I ordered.

Neopolitan socks
http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/pages/socks_detail_ProductID_664.php

I was eyeing these for my grey skirt. They have cashmere in them, but at $18 a pair, I dumped them from my cart at the last minute.
http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/pages/product_detail_ProductID_600.php

I also got these
http://www.sock-dreams.com/_shop/pages/socks_detail_ProductID_333.php

I hadn't thought about what shoes to wear. Hmmm. I do not have Doc Martens. I do have a pair of Teva MaryJanes (I think it is called Kira) that are a bit chunky...they might work as long as there isn't any (much) snow.

Oh, BTW the kidsfashionbrokers.com site has some AWESOME ones, but I am not sure I am ready to shell out $32+ for tights. YIKES! Especially since I am right smack dab in the middle of their sizing. I am afraid Meds would be too small, but I am on the low end of the Larges. I do like several of their color combos though.
Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

JenaW
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Jeanne ~ I checked my B&M TJMaxx (or was it Marshalls??) and Kohls with no luck. If I can pull it off, you can too! Maybe I'll post a pic once I get my order for some inspiration!

Kim - I tried at CLaires, but no luck there either.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Alexa ~ 11.03.06