PDA

View Full Version : Ear thermometers Accuscan vs. Braun...

kfong
09-29-2000, 02:12 PM
Hi ,

I just went to register and wanted to register for the electronic ear thermometers. I always thought the braun was less expensive but they had them at BRU for $59.99. they also had an accuscan for only $39.99.

are they both comparable? is the accuscan a good one? do you use yours and is it worth getting?

they also had little digital underarm ones. are those valuable too. i know you can't use the ear one on infants I believe or they aren't as accurate or something.

any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

karen

Stolidoli
10-23-2000, 10:27 AM
Hi. Just wanted to give this a little *bump* because I am having the same dilemma.

Anybody have a comment on this, or even on ear thermometers in general?

triangle
07-21-2001, 12:47 AM
I would also love to hear some feedback on this. I saw an Omitron (I think) in One Step Ahead for $39.99 that has probe covers with it and it can be used for oral, rectal or underarm. Does anyone have this?

triangle
07-22-2001, 12:03 AM
oops - the brand name is Omron and it is $39.95 in the One Step Ahead catalog. It does say it can be used for oral, rectal and underarm because it has probe covers to use with it. (It also pffers the temp in both Fahrenheit and Centigrade scales.) Does anyone have any advice on this thermometer?

JanaM
07-22-2001, 12:51 PM
Hi,
Below is a copy of a reply I made earlier about ear thermometers. I found them unreliable even on myself. I even had it pointed directly down the ear canal (you have to be precise) and I didn't squirm. ;)

Jana :)

We bought the Braun when DS was first born. It didn't work for us. DS would not keep his head still so it took forever to get a reading (you have to have it pointed straight down the ear canal). We would do it several times and get a different temp each time. I even tried it on myself and never got a consistent temp. I never felt confident about it. Then we went out and got a pacifier thermometer. That was worse as DS usually had a stuffed nose when we wanted to take his temp. He of course would then open his mouth to breathe and push it out with his tongue thereby making the reading useless. We found the underarm digital the best. It's easier, cheaper, more accurate and compact. We keep his in his diaper bag so it's always there when we need it.

HTH,
Jana

triangle
07-22-2001, 03:19 PM
The Omron one is supposed to be work for underarm, rectal and oral (since it has probe covers) and is supposed to work in 5 seconds! (I've heard not to use the ear ones on small children since their ears are too small to get accurate readings.) I like the 5 second idea instead of 1-3 minutes! Has anyone used this?