PDA

View Full Version : High Chairs

Sabba
10-04-2000, 08:05 AM
We are considering getting the Peg Perego Prima Pappa but have heard negative things about its cleanability and restraint. We love the "look" but are worried about the function. Comments, please!

Sabba

alandenisefields
10-04-2000, 09:25 AM
Sabba: Yes, we get that feedback that the Pappa is hard to clean. A similar model in terms of features is the Chicco Mama but it is easier to clean!

Hope that helps,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS
Email: [email protected]. Web:

mikkim
12-05-2000, 11:32 PM
I have the Prima Pappa and really really wish I had purchased a different high chair. It is very difficult to clean (particularly the white leatherette, which I have.) There are so many crevices for food to get into that to really clean it I have to scrub it with a brush. Plus, crumbs get behind the seat cover somehow! The other thing I don't like about the chair is that until my son was 18 months old, the tray was way too high for him.

The two advantages are the folding feature (which I don't even use) and the ability to adjust the height of the seat.

alexmom
01-17-2001, 02:06 PM
I have the Chicco Mama high chair and I absolutely LOVE it!! It is pretty easy to clean, it reclines, it rolls, it folds up, and the height is adjustable. Since it folds, it fits in our car easily and we take it to friends' houses for dinner sometimes. I also love the fact that it is on wheels because we live in on an Air Force base and I have a tiny kitchen - I can roll the chair into the kitchen and feed my baby or clean the chair, then roll it back to its corner. It's a little expensive, but for me well worth the money.

Marimar
01-19-2001, 03:18 AM
and I am am having second thoughts. I like all the features, although dd doesn't feed herself anything but finger food so we are not at the "very messy eating stage" yet and wouldn't be able to comment on the cleanability issue.

However, dd has hit herself on the head a few times. See to be at just the right height to feed her while I am comfortable sitting in a regular chair I have to lower the height of the (dd's) seat and it just happens that the legs/frame joint is at the level of her head. When she wiggles around or shakes her head strong (while playing around) she bumps it on the legs/frame. Needless to say we will be returning it.

The tray is also a little on the high side, but dd has adjusted fine to that aspect. I like the five point restraint, although dd is one year old and we don't really have a need for it anymore...I would think that would have been useful if we used it from the time she was a newborn/young infant. I wish there were a way to detach the shoulder straps.

slepatel
01-24-2001, 01:39 AM
Have used the Prima Pappa for the last ten months for my 16 month old daughter. The straps and post btwn the legs work well to keep her secure without being cumbersome to get her in and out. (older models did not have the center post) It is a pain in the neck to clean. If you are a stay at home mom and will have to be cleaning this thing three times a day (or more with snack times!)see if there is another choice that meets your needs. I have threatened to toss it and buy a wooden highchair with all smooth surfaces to clean. I really dont think kids sit in the chairs for long enough periods to really need all that padding anyway. My friend who works 4 days a week and only serves one meal in it on those days does not seem to mind the cleaning. I dont use the wheels or fold it up even though I have a small kitchen. I have not needed to use the height adjustment yet.

Mammaluna
01-24-2001, 07:44 PM
I too considered the Perego but when I saw it at the store I immediately changed my mind. I couldn't believe it was so expensive when it appeared so average in construction. As a matter of fact the store model seemed rather unsteady. I was disappointed by the looks of this highchair and could not understand why anyone would spend that much money on it.
I decided to buy the Chicco Mamma high chair(sight unseen) online and hope for the best. I had a coupon so I figured it was worth a shot besides if it turned out to be the same quality as the Perego at least I would have paid less($110.00 with coupon). Boy, was I thrilled when I removed it from the box. It is much nicer than the Perego and better constructed in my opinion. The seat reclines to three different positions and it has six height adjustments. There is also a five point harness and a chair insert for smaller babies. My son has not begun solids yet but I use the chair all the time. He sits in it while we have dinner and when I'm cooking. He even naps in it and looks so comfortable! We recently had guests with a toddler who used the chair and clean up was a breeze. The model I have has an ivory tray which doesn't show up every little stain. I am so happy I decided to purchase the Chicco Mamma and considering what I paid for it I feel it was a true bargain.
I also own the Chicco Bouncer Seat(love it!) and the Chicco Hook on High Chair(haven't used it yet). I love the Chicco products so much I'm considering purchasing a Chicco 2002 stroller but I haven't found any opinions so I'm holding off.
Good luck!

lmintzer
01-29-2001, 07:29 PM
Where did you find the Chicco Mamma? What on-line store carries them? Thanks!

lmintzer
01-29-2001, 07:29 PM
Where did you find the Chicco Mamma? What on-line store carries them? Thanks!

joodyjr
01-29-2001, 07:42 PM
I also have a Chicco Mamma and I love it. My son isn't eating solids yet, but I put him in the chair when I'm cooking or whatever and he loves "talking" to me! The recline is great!

Look at Comfortliving.com $149.95 (cheapest I saw) w/free shipping
I got mine on ebay for $120.. but I just checked and they don't have any.
I prefered the chicco over peg perego because the seat was wider in Chicco.

Good luck!

Mammaluna
02-16-2001, 06:43 PM
I purchased mine at babystyle.com but they no longer carry them. I know babiesrus.com has the Chicco Mamma and so does www.dmartstores.com($139). I think(not sure)www.babybazaar.com also has the Chicco Mama High Chair. There are coupons for both babies r us and babybazaar at www.flamingoworld.com.

peg
03-15-2001, 04:55 PM
I had the prima pappa (took it to my mother in laws because after a year I hated it!) and now have the chicco mamma.

Complaints about the Prima Pappa - As you've heard, extremely hard to get clean. Especially the seat cover. It is not machine washable and to remove it you need about 10 minutes with a screwdriver! My chair's tray wouldn't lock and my daughter always put her feet up on top of the tray and sometimes it would come off. Also, the cheap little wheel locks on the rear wheels broke off while we took it to my mother in laws, which is why we just left it there -- i had just had it with that chair!

I contacted peg perego's customer "service" dept. about all the problems I encountered with their expensive high chair and they only replied that they were sorry i was unhappy!

My only complaints about the chicco mamma are: the seat doesn't sit up close enough to the tray when in the most upright position. I wish my daughter were able to sit snugly close to the tray so spilled food would go into her bib instead of all over her lap. (The prima pappa did sit the child snugly to the tray.) My other complaint is that the tray release is poorly designed. my 21 month old easily pushes the release with her feet and sends the tray full of food flying across the room, to her great joy! (we are working on her not doing that, but she still does it occasionally.)

i still prefer the chicco to the prima pappa, but would recommend to others that they consider other chairs too. Part of the problem of spending so much for a top of the line chair is that you expect it to be close to perfect. It might be easier to accept the flaws of a high chair if we'd invested less money in them!

Good luck!

angusmom
03-15-2001, 11:46 PM
You can find Chicco stuff also at www.babysupermall.com. They generally have what they sell in-stock or they restock as quickly as possible if they are out of something I have found. They don't charge credit cards until they ship your order, too, unlike some sites that take your money right away which is scary(like babygear).

Enjoy!

alexsharp
03-16-2001, 09:47 AM
My in-laws just bought us the Chicco Mamma - (which is what we wanted) -- but just as a note to potential buyers - they do make the Mamma with the post between the legs. It is part of the tray. I made the mistake of purchasing the high chair from the internet (thought I was saving the ils some money) but ended up returning it when I realized I could get the high chair with a leg post and the one they sent us did not have it. It must be a VERY recent addition to the chair -- at BRU they had 2 models - one with and one without the leg post -- and they were the same price. ALSO - the one with the leg post came with the infant insert bonus. We had a $5 coupon so it came to $155 total. Now I feel a tad bit better about the high chair -- especially since the Fields' big gripe about the Chicco compared to the Peg was the leg post thing (which at the time Chicco did not have that feature).
I hope this helps anyone out there.

jmokeo
03-16-2001, 01:48 PM
Has anyone seen the Evenflo Easy Comfort High Chair? It's on Babystyle and BRU for 109.99 - looks very similar to prima pappa or Chicco, can't tell if the seat cushion removes for cleaning though. Otherwise the features are very similar.