PDA

View Full Version : humidifiers

suzanica
01-18-2001, 07:42 PM
Hi all !

Curious if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with their humidifiers. I have been suffering from "dry nose" when I wake up in the morning and I dont want my baby to suffer when he/she is born. Suggestions??

lw
01-24-2001, 05:00 PM
I too suffer from dry nose and throat, compounded by allergies, and bought a humidifier two years ago. Let me just tell you, it makes a world of difference!

We have the Holmes brand (recommended by Baby Bargains) that you can buy at Target. (Wal-Mart sells them too, I think.) It's very low maintenance and I just love it. It keeps our bedroom nice and comfortable. You will love it too! I plan on buying a second one for baby's room very soon.

Good luck to you!

Muffin28
01-24-2001, 08:46 PM
Funny you should ask! We received the Vicks brand humidifier as a baby shower gift. It is terrible. Not only is it small and can't hold a lot of water, but it does not have an 'on/off' switch (so you have to plug it in each time)and the filter is impossible to clean. After about a week of use, we started smelling a terrible odor in the room. We realized that it was the humidifier! Despite cleaning it thoroughly before each use, it made the room smell terrible - like mildew. It is a complete waste of money.

We ended up purchasing a Robitussin brand humidifier from Wal-Mart. It is larger, extremely easy to clean, has a removable filter, has an 'on/off' switch and just looks nicer. Plus, the mist is so fine that you can't even see it and has no offensive odor. Hope this helps!

Muffin28
01-24-2001, 10:47 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-01 AT 08:52PM (Mountain)[p]Whoops...I made a mistake. It is the Evenflo brand(not Vicks)that we had problems with - sorry! Another thing I should point out is that they are both about the same price ($19.95). There is no comparison!

peg
03-15-2001, 05:27 PM
It's a bit expensive (about $100), but is maintenance free (you only clean it once a year at the end of the dry season). I bought the Hunter "Carefree Humidifier Plus" which is a cool mist humidifier, which is what my pediatrician recommended. It holds about 3 gallons of water and doesn't need to be refilled too often. Also, it has a humidistat, so it goes on and off by itself to basically maintain a humidity level. I leave it on all winter, and just check it for water level once a week or so. It doesn't need cleaning at all, and the wick never needs to be replaced. I found it through a high end catalog that guarantees their products for a year, no questions asked. If you don't like a product for any reason they will take it back. The catalog is Frontgate, and they also have a website (www.frontgate.com). I liked my humidifier so much I gave one to my sister for her baby shower. Good luck.

swmc
03-20-2001, 04:57 PM
I was so excited to read your message. I bought the Holmes humidifier but I find that it is too much maintenance.
How long have you had this humidifier?

Fields: Do you have any info on this? are the maintenance claims true?

peg
03-22-2001, 05:57 PM
I've had the humidifier for two heating seasons and have no problems so far. Also, my daughter has rarely been sick and is 21 months old - only about 4 colds and two throw-up type viruses w/fevers, so I don't think the humidifier is getting dirty and germy. My sister loved hers this past winter and her 5 month old hasn't been sick yet. (Both were breastfed babies, so that may have helped re: immunity.)

peg
03-24-2001, 10:47 PM
FYI, just noticed that www.comfortliving.com is having a sale on the Hunter Care Free Plus. I think this is the model that does NOT have the humidistat that automatically turns the machine on/off due to humidity level, but for this price, who cares? It is now for sale for $57.95 - I'm going to buy another one for my second child's bedroom.

peg
03-08-2002, 06:05 PM
HUNTER HUMIDIFIER RECALL!!!
I just found out that Hunter has issued a voluntary recall on several of their Carefree humidifiers. The two models I have (33300 and 33350) are both included in the recall. There have been nine reports of the motor overheating, and they recommend that anyone with a recalled model unplug the unit immediately and call 800-207-5982. For more info. check http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02116.html

jojo2324
03-09-2002, 01:13 PM
I am due with my first late June, and am suffering the woes of nasal congestion CONSTANTLY. We also have a couple of cats and very dry heat to throw into the mix, so needless to say, I am blowing my nose a good 4000 times a day. Anyway, I just got a $10 DuraCraft vaporizer at CVS, and I find that it really helps with how I feel in the morning. And it seems to curtail the intensity of my husband's snoring. (Because that will never go away :() I am planning on getting something a little more high-tech next winter, but for now it seems to work just fine for me. The only problem I have with it is that it needs to be unplugged to shut off and requires refilling every night. And it's bright blue and red.

jojo2324
03-13-2002, 12:00 PM
Just a side note about the DuraCraft vaporizer...It is a real pain in the butt to open. I guess I've gotten used to it and that's why I forgot to mention it. Basically, you open the box and try to open the thing by sliding the top into the grooves to make it "un-stuck." Doesn't work. So I had to call DuraCraft, and she told me to stick two butter knives on either side of the top and pop it off. I did it, it opened, and there were the instructions, inside the vaporizer! I said to her that perhaps they wouldn't receive so many phone calls from frustrated people if the directions were outside the unit. Of course, reading the directions later on there was no mention of butter knives. Go figure :) So every night I have to use a knife to pop the top. I thought that with time the thing would be easier to open, but I guess not. Or maybe it's just ours. Okay, so I forgot a lot, but for $10, it's not too bad.

akc
06-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Hi - If anyone is still out there, I have a question on the Hunter humidifiers. I think that they are no longer selling the ones that were recalled, but my question is that there are two models at the high end that don't seem to need filters and then the lower priced options do. Is the filter important for preventing bacteria or should I assume the high end ones have something built in to prevent bacteria? I'm just confused on which model to get?!

thanks in advance -
akc