PDA

View Full Version : Best Portable Playpens (Pack N Play, etc)

sallen
02-15-2001, 05:32 PM
Do you have any suggestions as to which pack and plays are the best? I've heard Century and Graco are tops, but I just wanted to check. Are the full bassinets better than the smaller ones that fit inside the playpens? What about changing areas? And how important are diaper holders on the side?? I would love to hear your suggestions - I'm a first time mom-to-be! Thanks!

joodyjr
02-21-2001, 07:29 PM
I have the Graco Pack N Play. It is a really nice playpen and folds up super easy. I personally only change my son on his changing table in his room just for my own comfort but the changing area on the Graco is really nice. Would be super for away trips to Grandmoms! Unfortunately ours was missing the poles for the bassinet so I can't comment on that. Diaper holders are fluff...if the playpen you like comes w/one fine, but don't go searching for it.

rodmar
02-26-2001, 12:26 PM
We have the Graco Pack 'N Play 3 Way Bassinet With Changer and have been very pleased with it. It has the full bassinet, which you might be able to use longer than the small bassinets. I think the bassinet can be used until the baby is 15 pounds. Because my daughter was small, we used the bassinet when she was 7 months old and moving around more than she did as a newborn.

I found that using the changing area on the playpen would break my back from bending over. We quickly moved it from the playpen to the kitchen counter area that extends into our great room, and I am still using it at 14 months. I like the vinyl changing pad from the playpen better than the cloth cover in her room because it can easily be wiped off when the inevitable accidents occur. Since we didn't use the changing area on the playpen, we didn't use the diaper holder that much, though I did use it for the multitude of burp cloths in the early months.

Best of luck!

Marcia

lesliehagan
03-01-2001, 05:36 PM
We have the Graco 5-Way Pack N Play, and it is well made. We did have a problem with one of the rails for the bassinet, a piece broke while we were trying to put it together. Graco quickly mailed us a replacement piece at no charge.

We used it as a bassinet in our bedroom until our daughter was about 4 months old. Since then we've had it set up in our living room as a play pen.

My biggest recommendation would be to really think about how you will use one of these things and don't buy more attachments than necessary. We never used the diaper changing platform. We've never used the sun shade. We don't use the diaper and toy bag things that snap on the sides. Frankly, at this point (10 month old) we use it to store toys and maybe the kid for 5 minutes once a week.

sarsah
03-09-2001, 11:47 PM
We have a Graco 3-way Pack & Play and have been pleased with it (have been using it for 9 months now). The model I have is hard to put up and take down, but my mom recently purchased one to keep at her house when my son comes to visit and it is much easier to put up/take down. I really like the changing table area. That's the part that gets the most use at my house. Mine didn't come with a 'parent tray' or 'accessory bag' -- wish it did -- so I bought a "Diaper Depot" and hooked it on the side. That works very well for us.
My son slept in the (full size) bassinette part for his first 6 weeks of life (until his bedroom was finished). We don't use the playpen very much now. The baby is 9 months old and we have a "Super Yard" that we use most of the time.

Sarah....