PDA

View Full Version : Bouncey Seat or Swing or both?

future_mommie
03-07-2001, 10:17 AM
Is a bouncey seat or swing better to have, or do we need both? Anyone have opinions on or experience with this? What are the major uses for each? TIA!

Heather EDD 6/15/01

jilldave
03-07-2001, 12:38 PM
We have a bouncey seat and a swing. We have a 4 month old and she loved the bouncey seat (with battery powered vibrations) when she was a few weeks old and a bit colicky. We moved onto the swing at about 2 months old and she loves it too. She is a smaller baby and is quickly outgrowing the bouncey seat. I would definitely recommend a swing and if baby is colicky, get a bouncey seat too.

shandrin
03-08-2001, 11:09 AM
I have had both with my last 2 kids, each offers something different.
The swing gives a motion which sometimes is the only way to get them off to sleep, the bounce chair gives 2 options{in most cases} a motion like bouncing when the baby kicks and a vibrate option which can help when the baby is fussy.
The other advantage to the bounce chair is it leaves your hands free but still lets the baby see what's going on, you can bring it in the room while you clean, bathe etc.
I've liked having both, gives you several options in calming the baby down or keeping them happy while you do something.

kat013
03-28-2001, 11:12 PM
We used both a swing and a bouncy seat . . . our son is 5 months old now, and is not really crazy about the swing anymore, but we still use the bouncy seat all the time. It's really easy to bring into different rooms when I'm moving about the house. We got a fisher-price infant to toddler rocker (that's what I'm referring to as a bouncy seat). Our son loves it! I think the swing is soothing for younger babies, so I would recommend getting both.

bodaya
06-04-2001, 02:11 PM
My now 10-month old son had both a bouncy seat and a swing. He outgrew the bouncy seat at approximately 5 months (when he began to become active). He kept reaching over to grab his feet and I was afraid he would tip over the seat. We then put him in a swing, which did nothing for him in the beginning. After a while, he started to fall asleep in the swing. We still use the swing today. Instead of feeding him in a high chair, we feed our son in the swing.

tbank
06-11-2001, 01:19 PM
If you can afford it, I would go with both. The bouncy seat is great when they're little - and the swing was a lifesaver, starting at about 2-3 months. It's worth the money!@!

tjham
09-07-2002, 01:11 AM
If you go to resale stores, you can easily have both. Bouncers are plentiful. I had both. I had a bouncer I kept in the computer room and just used it when I needed to get something done. It was wonderful!

New_Mom
09-19-2002, 09:00 AM
We just had a bouncer and that worked for us. We put DS (now 4.5 months) on the floor alot so he could stretch out. I can only think of 2 times I had wished for a swing an a little walk worked for those! Swings are expensivefor and can't be used for very long. Since we didn't have lots of money we put the swing money towards a Baby Bjorn and love it. It was well worth the money and great for travel!

LailaCa
10-02-2002, 05:35 PM
I have both. I started using the bouncer when he was just a few weeks old and at about two months added the bar (FP Kick-n-play). He really likes it. It is also convenient to place it in the bathroom when I need to shower and he isnt sleeping. He also loves his swing (FP Smart Response). It works well and comes with a food tray and play tray. It also can play lullabies.

If you can only get one....gee this is hard....I would go with the swing. Defintely try to get both.