PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to bathtubs?

future_mommie
04-03-2001, 10:30 AM
I am wondering how moms bathe their infants if they don't use a bathtub. I'd prefer not to buy one since most are so bulky and the ones that fold up are way too small to last very long. Are there different tricks? :)

Heather
EDD 6/15/01

Geebee
04-03-2001, 01:44 PM
I used an inexpensive yellow foam pad in the bathtub after my daughter outgrew her tub. I'm sure that you could use the same technique for newborns. It keeps their little bodies above the water and makes for easy cleaning since the baby is laying down. My only complaint is the back breaking of leaning over/into the tub, but I guess that is something that you have to deal with once you start bathing the little ones in the big tub.

I hope that helps!

taima
04-03-2001, 01:47 PM
i did not want to put my baby in a tub so i just clean the kitchen sink really well and it has worked out perfectly i use the sprayer to rinse my daughter off it great good lucj -taima-

venka
05-29-2001, 02:38 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, and posted a different thread in this forum asking about the ShowerBaby (freestanding unit that folds up against the wall behind the toilet and has sprayer that hooks up from the sink).

Check out http://www.babidet.com and tell me if you think I'm nuts for considering this!

Thanks,

Susan
edd 10/01

EmmasMommy
07-26-2001, 09:53 AM
We have the Safety 1st, 4-in-one bath station, and didn't use it until the last month or so. Our daughter was born 5 weeks early and came home weighing only 4 lbs. The bathtub was ENORMOUS for such a small baby and she hated it at first. The next few months, we used the bathroom or kitchen sink and that was MUCH more practical for a small baby. She LOVES her bathtub now, and the nice thing about the 4 in one bath tub is that it is versital! Once she outgrows the infant tub, we are able to use the "bathring" for her to sit in.(Bythe way, we did have a problem w/ the tub at first, b/c it leaked everywhere-turns out that we didn't have the tub fully expanded.:)

earthymom
07-30-2001, 10:03 PM
I tried to use one of those bulky infant tubs and it was just that-bulky and awkward. I use an infant tub aid--it lays in the bottom of the tub or sink. It is inclined(about 25 degrees), plastic coated metal frame with a mesh middle that you place the baby on. No slipping or sliding. It's inexpensive too. Look in the bath section of any of the larger baby stores.

mackenziemouse
07-31-2001, 07:36 PM
I bought one of those foam "changing pads" that go on top of a dresser that have sloped sides. I put towels on that and sponge-bathed Grant there. Now that he's older (3 months), I like to hold him in my arms in the shower. He really seems to like the shower. It goes without saying that you must be very careful, I hold (very tightly!) with one hand and wash with the other, so only one of my hands gets slippery. And we have a walk-in shower, I don't have to step into a tub.

By the way, I notice someone mentioned those "bath rings"... I think they have been discontinued and/or recalled for safety concerns. I know that I used one for my daughter, and she managed to get her soapy, slippery self stuck in it. It was awful. Luckily, I know my neighbors as I was home alone and had to call someone to help me get her out... I couldn't have gotten her out by myself..

Gabby29
08-18-2001, 12:44 AM
I also purchased an inexpensive foam pad for the big bath tub, so far it's great. I've used it since my daughter was about 3 months old. She's six months now and even though she can sit up when I bathe her I still use it to keep he from sliping around when she gets to splashing or playing too much.

ACinnamonGirl
08-18-2001, 03:57 PM
Hi ~

My DD is now 5 months old and we have been taking weekly baths together in our regular bathtub since she was 1 week old. Originally, I wanted to buy an infant bathtub, but just didn't like any on the market - they all seem to have one drawback or another. I tried giving her a bath in the kitchen sink, but felt like I couldn't keep a good grip on her.

So, I decided to try bathing together. I believe my daughter felt more secure, because I was holding her in the tub and supporting her while she floated in the water - she seemed so tiny at first. She has never cried once during our bathtimes together, and she is at an age now where she's starting to splash & play in the water. The big fun is just around the corner! Weekly baths work great for us, Jacqueline isn't crawling just yet, so she doesn't get too dirty. I give her quickie washcloth baths on the changing table if needed during the week. It is a great way to bond with your baby.

The key to bathing with your baby is for you to take a shower first, then you can focus on getting your baby clean & having fun in the bathtub. Also, I highly recommend purchasing one of the floating bath thermometers (I have the floating yellow ducky that I bought at BRUs). The water temperature for a baby's bath should never be over 100 degrees. The thermometers give you an instant read of the water's temperature, and you avoid overheating and possibly scalding your baby. It can also help to turn the thermostat on your waterheater down below 120 degrees.

Hope this helps!
Jules

Gina C
08-21-2001, 09:33 PM
Have you seen the "Sassy Tubby" by Sassy? It's a 26" inflatable tub that is so easy to use with a slippery newborn. I found it for $4.49 on-line at:

http://www.kidsurplus.com/lstb.html

I used this tub for my daughter until she was able to sit up. Newborns are slippery and in my house my babies get several baths a day if they're poopy! Taking a bath or shower together 3 times a day is just too much work for me! :)

Good luck in your decision.

ElbertMom
09-19-2001, 11:42 PM
The first week I bathed my daughter in the kitchen sink, which is very deep, but I was worried about her bonking her head on the ceramic. From there we went straight to the bathtub - together. I usually get in the tub and then my husband brings her to me. This has worked very well for us and she loves the water and security of having mom nearby.

She is now 6 month old and we still have joint baths when the timing works out. Now that she can sit up on her own it is much easier to give her a bath in the tub and she loves to play with her tub toys.

kreed_2002
08-21-2002, 11:31 PM
I don't think you are nuts AT ALL! I was very skeptical at first too but LOVE my ShowerBaby now! We did shop around and www.BabysFirstSpa.com had the best deal on it. It was about $30 less from them than from anybody else!