PDA

View Full Version : highchair/booster seats

spelton
04-23-2001, 01:04 AM
Hi -- Just wondering if anyone out there can recommend a booster seat for traveling and/or to leave at Grandma's house. I am looking at the Saftey First fold-up booster seat, First Years 3-in-1 booster seat, and the First Years reclining 3-stage feeding seat. Any recommendations? I would like to find something that will work for a 6-month old and on...

thanks!
-Susan

shandrin
04-23-2001, 04:09 PM
I own the first years 3in 1 booster works great, simple to use, clean and is easy to fold up for travel. I t can also be put in the dishwasher to clean.

The safety first model i found the tray latches to be to hard to move, very stiff.

The reclining model by the first years has quite a large base making it hard to fit on alot of chairs and is not very compact nor does it fold up.

spelton
04-23-2001, 06:59 PM
Thanks for your input!
-Susan

gentlemommy
04-23-2001, 10:57 PM
I used the Safety 1st seat for only a couple months - my ds kept kicking the tray off and therefore, it seemed unsafe to me. I took it back to Babies R Us, and exchanged it for a seat by The First years. That one was much nicer (easier to put together and take apart, etc) and sturdier. I never tried the third seat you're considering.

Fast forward to now, though - my ds is 2 years old (in January) and we haven't used the high chair in about six months (or thereabouts). I really disliked having to unfasten the seat each time, to clean under it, and food really seems to get into all sorts of nooks and crannies! A friend suggested a Cushie Booster, and I LOVE it! It may not be ideal for a 6 month old, but for anyone looking for a perfect booster for even a slightly older infant/toddler, one that's easy to use and travel with, easy to clean, etc., I strongly recommend it. I suppose you could use it with a younger baby as long as you found something to function as a strap, too.

shandrin
04-25-2001, 04:17 PM
i agree the cooshie booster is great but i feel better for an older child say 3 and up. My 2.5yo isn't the type to stay still long enough to use one yet, i prefer her 3 in 1 since it has a harness to help keep her put.

spelton
04-25-2001, 04:27 PM
My next question is -- do you really have to have a highchair? Wouldn't a booster seat (whichever one we decide to go with) do the trick? We live in a small apartment and space is an issue. The only thing I'm thinking is that my baby would be more comfotable being up bit higher in a higher chair. But a booster seat would definitely save some space. What do you think?

thanks again ;)
-Susan

shandrin
04-26-2001, 09:46 AM
It's tricky i know many people who have only used a booster with a tray and never had a complaint. Being able to sit upright really well is important for using the these chairs since the seat offers no padding and is slippery.
Although the other chair offered by the first years reclines and has a post to help cut back on the sliding, it's base is quite big so it won't fit all chairs. At the momment i use a highchair for my son and the 3 in 1 booster for my middle child since she is 2+ and quite rough on anything!

Here is what i suggest try it out buy a couple of them{making sure the stores return policy is friendly} and try them on your chairs to ensure a tight fit. Then give it a try for a bit if it doesn't work out their not to costly and can be used for travel or later on when your baby gets too be older.:)

spelton
04-26-2001, 03:39 PM
Great suggestion -- thanks :)

gaynellgirl
07-25-2001, 10:07 PM
DO NOT BUY The First Years' "Portable 3-in-1 Booster Seat"!!!
We tried it when our son was rejecting the high chair but wasn't old enough for a regular booster seat w/ no straps. Within the first several uses the nylon lap strap broke. We sewed it back together (out of necessity) but then it broke in a DIFFERENT place soon afterwards. There were some other problems too - one being that it was hard to clean the sides of the seat, food just disappeared down in there. We were very dissatisfied with this product and plan on returning it to them under their lifetime guarantee policy. Good luck with your search.