PDA

View Full Version : Avent bottles -- nipple sizes

spelton
04-24-2001, 10:12 PM
Ok, can someone help me out here? I just realized that there are difference size nipples for the Avent bottles. The bottles I bought came with size "1" nipples, does this mean I have to go out and buy the next sizes for future use (3+, and 6+ months)? And what about slow flowing, fast flowing? Any advice? Thanks,
Susan

Geebee
04-25-2001, 09:38 AM
If you are alternating between breast and bottle, it is recommended that you only use the size 1 nipples, no matter what the age of the baby. The theory is that the size 1 nipples and the breast have a similiar low flow rate. If the baby uses a faster flow, she might prefer that to the breast.

Otherwise, I'd only buy new ones when the old ones wear out (3 or 4 months of constant use). For my daughter, she went from the size 1 to the size 3 because she was about 5 months old at the time. I wouldn't go from 1 to 4, but don't feel like you have to go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4.

I hope that helps!

triangle
07-21-2001, 12:34 AM
My baby is 5 months old but still only rarely gets a bottle. Would you recommend sticking to the size one nipple?

Geebee
07-21-2001, 09:41 AM
I would stick with the size one nipples if you want to keep the baby on the breast, no matter what the age of the baby or how many bottles that the baby receives. Everything that I read recommends this to keep the baby from prefering the bottle to the breast. Personally, I just wouldn't want to mess up the rhythm.

I weaned my daughter off the breast at about 5 months, which is why I went from the size 1 to size 3 bottle nipples.

I hope that helps.

vkmom
07-21-2001, 02:47 PM
I read somewhere that a mom sterilizes a needle and pokes her own holes. Hope that helps.

JanaM
07-22-2001, 01:14 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-01 AT 12:15PM (Mountain)[p]Hi,
I used Avent bottles (still do) and also breastfed til 15mo. They all come with the newborn nipples because almost all new bottles are purchased when a baby is a newborn. It is recommended that you replace the nipples after about 3 months use anyway. As I breastfed I didn't need to replace them quite as quickly, but they did start to collapse in after about 9 months of constant dishwasher use.

Also, a word about the variable flow nipples. When DS was 3mo I got them and thought they were a wonderful idea. In reality I only used one rate of flow at any given age. I found myself having to constantly monitor the position of the bottle. If someone else wanted to give him a bottle I would have to explain, "hold it with the three mark up". They didn't seem to understand what I was saying and would just stick it in his mouth and give me a strange look. You know the look, the 'I raised two children myself, I think I know how to give a baby a bottle' look. And, I used to give him his last bottle in either darkness or semi-darkness as he found it more relaxing. It's impossible to know what position the bottle is in in the dark. I now have the fast flow for him and don't have to stare at his bottle when he drinks, I get to look at him. :)

HTH,
Jana :)

mackenziemouse
07-25-2001, 11:53 PM
"they" say stick with the size 1s for all breast fed babies, but this nursing mom disagrees. My son is 12 weeks old, and I have had to take medication that required taking him from the breast for 3 days. This was about 2 weeks ago. The first nite dad and I toughed it out with the size 1 nipples, but after that we decided we didn't have time for him to take a couple of hours to finish a bottle! (especially since I had to "pump and toss", too!) We went and bought some fast nipples the very next day. Now we are back to breast feeding, no problems at all, despite those evil fast nipples!! I say, give yourselves a break. Babies prefer to breastfeed, and if you are committed to breastfeeding it will work out. A hungry baby will eat. Don't make him struggle with those silly nipples.

Just my 2 cents....