PDA

View Full Version : Germ Doctor

jf
05-31-2001, 10:50 AM
I saw the Germ Doctor in my Right Start catalog. It is supposed to sanitize toys and pacifiers. It was $80(!) in the catalog, but I found it at BabiesRUs for $60. I ended up buying it (I saved the box!), but haven't really heard of anyone who used it - it is new, just came out in 2000. Any opinions??

littlemomma
06-01-2001, 10:34 PM
I saw it in the catalogue too, but I know everything in that catalogue is always priced higher than in the stores. It seems it sterilizes by using steam, right? So why not use the Avent microwave steamer that is only $29.99 at Toys R Us? I just bought the Avent steamer last week & put some of my baby's smaller toys in & it worked out fine. Of course, you wouldn't be able to fit larger toys, but I doubt at baby would be teething on anything as big as a basketball. Just a thought . . .

martha7
06-13-2001, 02:41 AM
Why not just use the dishwasher? Should pretty much do the same thing, I think. Also, as soon as baby starts to crawl, "sanitizing" starts to seem like an academic issue (everything goes in the mouth, sanitary or not... and they say some exposure to germs is good anyway).

cabote
06-14-2001, 02:51 PM
Medical professionals have told me that soap and water are fine for almost everything. The only recommendation other than that is to regularly soak soft bath toys in a bleach/water (1 to 4 parts) solution to kill fecal mater left on toys during bathtime.
It is very true. Infants need to be exposed to some germs in order to build antibodies. Our society goes so overboard with antibacterial soaps and cleaners that we are actually hurting ourselves. It is ironic-but if things are too clean, you can get sick as a result. Let your baby develop immunities to common bacteria. He/she will be better off.

mfouch
07-25-2001, 07:52 PM
Help! I'm looking for a germ doctor and can't find one. I have checked at BabiesRUs and they do not carry it??? Any suggestions?