PDA

View Full Version : Odor-free diaper systems

KT
06-05-2001, 12:04 PM
Does anyone own a Fisher-Price Odor-free Diaper system, the one by Safety 1st, or Baby Trend (these all use regular kitchen garbage bags)? I just wanted to know how well they work and whether or not to just get the Diaper Genie (which uses their own refills). Thanks!

martha7
06-13-2001, 02:34 AM
Personally, I've tried both the Diaper Genie and the Fisher-Price diaper pail. Hated the Diaper Genie - the liners have this sweet perfumy smell that I couldn't stand (and couldn't help worrying wasn't really healthy in the nursery). And emptying it is an ordeal. At first, I liked the Fisher-Price. But I've gotten tired of taking it apart to wash it. Frankly, I think the easiest thing is a small garbage can with a pop-up lid, and using supermarket plastic bags and just tying them off and taking them out frequently (like after every poop). Certainly would save money (not buying these pails, not to mention the expensive Diaper Genie refill thing). In fact, I've been meaning to email that to the authors as my money-saving tip. Skip the whole diaper pail thing, get a small plastic garbage can with a lid (easy to clean) and just take them out frequently. By the way, I did look at the Baby Trend one and it seems very cool at first, but I think it might turn out to be a hassle in the end as well.

ducatigirl
06-13-2001, 01:57 PM
I have been using the Diaper Champ for 3+ months and I love it. I used the Diaper Genie when I nannied twin boys and hated it. The opening wasn't very big (I hated sticking my hand down into it), it was a hassle to empty, and the damn thing broke (twist mechanism) after only 8 months. I suppose it did cut the odor UNTIL you made the mistake of opening it to empty it. Don't EVER do that in the house. I never could get rid of the smell inside the canister. I understand they have modified it since I used it 6+ years ago. And the refills are expensive! I like being able to use ANY bag that I want. And a helpful hint: if I have a really messy or smelly diaper I use a plastic grocery bag to tie it off first. (Who doesn't have a ton of those?!!) Besides my husband loves to pretend to be the ship's captain (all ahead full steam) and our 3 month old loves that.

EmmasMommy
07-26-2001, 09:45 AM
We have the diaper pail that uses regular kitchen-pail sized bags (I can't remember if it's the Safety 1st or Fisher Price one-it's white with a blue top). Anyway, we have been satisfied with it.

Personally, I feel that the Diaper Genie is a waste and I have had a lot of friends who agree. The refills are expensive and the Genie doesn't hold very many diapers (at least in my opinion!)

MonsterMom2
07-26-2001, 04:44 PM
I have the Safety 1st odorless diaper pail. It works OK as long as you don't allow it to get so full that the hopper doesn't close. For my 10 month old it lasts no more than 2 days. I don't think the place that holds the deodorizer does anything. The deodorant disk that comes with it lasts about a month. I switched to a stick-up and that lasts about a week. I think the best defense against any diaper pail odor is to take the trash out daily.

Phoebes_mom
07-27-2001, 10:15 AM
We have the Baby Trend Diaper Champ, and so far we are pretty happy with it. It is quite odor free, and very easy to use. It uses plain garbage bags. The only problem that we had with it was when a diaper tape wasn't completely fastened and got stuck to the gasket. The gasket was ruined. We called baby trend and they sent us two replacement gaskets free of charge.

elelvee
07-31-2001, 07:00 PM
I have the diaper champ (baby trend). At first I loved it, and the idea that you could use regular liners. However, as time went on, I got tired of cleaning it. Now, I just put the diaper in a grocery store bag, tie it up, and put it right in the trash. It never seems to smell--as long as you empty the trash on a regular basis. I'd skip the whole diaper system next time.