PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right bottles...should I worry about polycarbonate?

sunnymom
06-12-2001, 04:08 PM
We are expecting baby#2 and just read about a report the consumer reports did on the safety issue of bottles made with polycarbonate? Never heard that before and was wondering if anyone else has? Does anyone know of bottles that aren't made with this? We used the platex ventaire bottles for the 1st one but are thinking about changing to the platex drop ins. Any recommendations?

martha7
06-13-2001, 02:30 AM
I was concerned about that. I checked with Playtex and the drop-in liners are polyethylene so I'm sticking with those (I had tried the VEnt-Aire, but then realized it was polycarbonate, also baby didn't care for it, is used to the drop-ins). I used glass bottles when she was little, but now that she takes hold of things and throws them, that's no longer an option. Of course, the liners do add some cost, but so it goes. If you're concerned about plastics (polycarbonate, PVC, phthlates) The First Years products (e.g., teethers, etc.) don't use those "bad" plastics and it usually says so on their packaging, which I really appreciate. Hope that helps.

sunnymom
06-13-2001, 10:19 AM
Martha7 - Thank you so much for that information. I have been searching on the web and also contacted most bottle manufactures via e-mail and didn't receive a response. Playtex was the last one that I had to contact...now I don't have to. Looks like we will be using Playtex drop-ins for baby #2. Wish I knew this for baby #1. Thanks again!!

angusmom
06-14-2001, 12:50 AM
In my opinion after objectively reviewing the whole polycarbonate thing, it was a typical media scare story where they reported what they wanted to get ratings and incite hysteria. From what I remember, the data that the study in question was based on involved "scientists" doing outrageous things to bottles that are not normal operating conditions or even in the realm of everyday - like heating bottles to 500 degrees and stuff like that. If you heat *anything* to 500 degrees, it's going to do odd things!

Polycarbonate bottles are safe when used normally, in my opinion, and I wouldn't worry about it. But you have to make your own choices for your own children. Good luck!

triangle
07-03-2001, 01:18 AM
Where did you find glass bottles?