PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Dr Brown's bottles?

sunnymom
07-03-2001, 03:45 PM
Looking for info on Dr Brown's bottles. Do they do what they claim (reduce air/bubbles, help with colic and gas etc.) or just a gimmick? Are they worth the extra price?

evans dad
07-05-2001, 08:39 AM
We switched from Avent to Dr. Brown's when our 3 week old started getting colicky and gassy. They have been great! Right from the start we noticed a difference. He is now 4 months and have used the Dr. Brown bottles exclusively.

You will not see a single bubble in the bottle, and less bubbles means less bubbles in the baby.

We like the tall skinny bottles over the wider ones.

Frankly, when your baby is colicky, price is not an issue.

Good luck!

rebwal
07-05-2001, 09:26 AM
Although I haven't used these bottles, my sister does. She absolutely loves them and my niece has never had a problem with gas (she's now 14 months and still using them). I would also highly recommend them because they definitely work.

MaxMom
07-26-2001, 02:10 PM
I highly recommend them. My baby is 3 months old and has never had a gas problem. We recently tried Avent and had to burp him every ounce. With Dr. Brown's we only have to burp once. They are a little hard to find. The web site drastically over charges. Baby Deport and Babies R Us have the best price at $4.50-$5.00 for a bottle and $3.99 for nipples.

E&E
07-27-2001, 04:40 PM
I used these with my daughter when she was still a newborn. I did not have any luck with them. She did not seem to like the nipple, so that defeated the whole purpose. She also had a hard time sucking the fluid with the system. But each baby is different..I say buy one and give it a shot.

AmberH
05-24-2002, 01:27 PM
I bought these for my daughter when she was a newborn because she had problems with gagging, gas and spitting up with the advent bottles. I tried other bottles but doctor brown's was the only one she could tolerate. However, there are some definate things about dr. brown's I don't like. For one, they are hard to travel with. You cannot mix a bottle in them because they leak everywhere. If they are not upright at all times (when not feeding), they will leak. Also, there are extra parts to wash (a special brush is included). I don't like washing bottles so I find that a pain. Now that my baby is 4 1/2 months old and feeding much better, I plan to go back to advent.

Bottom line: Dr. brown's is great if you are home a lot and don't mind washing bottles. Otherwise, I wouldn't use them unless your baby is hard to feed and won't tolerate anything else.

opus
05-31-2002, 09:24 AM
I've posted regarding Dr. Browns before and still love them (wide mouth, not narrow). A search within the message board for prior postings will help you find several more opinions.

sandyschaefer
06-11-2002, 09:22 AM
We've used these bottles exclusively since Sophia was two wks old b/c I got sick and couldn't nurse. We tried other bottles and she spit up horribly & had lots of gas. We haven't had any problems since and we only have to burp her once. The bottles we're orginially recommend by a friend who said she used them with both her boys and they've never had an ear infections. As for cleaning, I use the regular cleaning brush. As for leaking, I've never had a problem with that. We travel with the bottles often. There is a lid that you have to use. We mix in the bottles too and never have a problem there either. Also, we buy ours from BabyDepot b/c you can get a 3-pack that much cheaper then buying them individually (I think it's $11.99). I love these bottles and high recommend them!

I did notice a comment about the wide mouth bottles. Is there really a big difference? We've used the normal ones.

Sandy, Sophia's Mom (born 6/1/02)

Melanie
06-17-2002, 01:08 PM
Wide mouth is best for breastfed babies. It helps avoid nipple confusion. I used narrow at first and we had lots of BF problems. We switched to wide, and they leak everytime we heat them up with our on the go bottle warmer, so we have to be careful. However, now I have the travel disks, so hopefully that will help. I hate to waste that liquid gold!

Mommy to Jonah

kristas3
06-27-2002, 12:59 PM
We use these bottles exclusively for our triplets. We went through a rough period of extreme reflux, and switched our boys on them. Then, when my daughter was collapsing her nipples due to such a strong suck, we put her on them. We own about 20 of these bottles. (And we tried every kind of bottle before, giving us one of the biggest bottle collections on the east coast!)

If you check the website, they were offering buy 3 get one free. We got several free this way. Also, they seem to be making the bottles stronger now...we have had a few crack on us (which for the price, they really shouldn't.)

mia_s mom
07-08-2002, 06:16 PM
We started out using the Avent bottles. They worked fine for us for breast milk, but when I was supplementing and later had to switch to formula, I found that the bottles created a tremendous amount of bubbles. We switched to Dr. Brown's and have been much happier. We use the wide mouth version (which seemed to reduce any nipple confusion) and have never had any problems with leaks. Other than the website, the only place I have been able to find the wide neck bottles is at Baby Depot. Good luck!