PDA

View Full Version : jonny jumpers

tinakf
07-11-2001, 01:19 PM
What's the scoop on the Johny Jumpers, or whatever the jumper seat that clamps to the top of a doorway is called these days? It looks like something my daughter would really enjoy. Have these things gone the way of baby walkers, or are they OK to have around. Of course I would never put my baby in one unattended.

Thanks,
Tina

mkkrum
07-11-2001, 01:51 PM
We bought both the Johnny Jump-Up (just the sling--no tray) and a Bumper Jumper (with a tray and toy loops). The JJU is a deeper seat, so I thought it would be better for a younger kid (6 mos) who couldn't completely sit up on his own. My experience with our now 8 month-old son was that the JJU was too deep--the plastic pieces that cross the front and back cut into his armpits and made him miserable. Plus there was nothing to DO--he just kind of twirled around in circles with his arms out. At 7 months we pulled out the BJ and he LOVES it! For one thing, he can now sit up, so the lower back on the BJ doesn't bother him at all. Plus with the toy loops and tray, he has something to do besides twirl in circles. At 8 months, he has just gotten the hang of actually jumping. For us, the JJU was a waste of money, but the BJ is a life saver!

If you want to try them both, watch auction sites (try www.auctionwatch.com) and second-hand stores. Chances are good you could purchase both for less than the price of a new one!

jfemiano
07-11-2001, 04:19 PM
Hi-- Don't mean to scare you, but I happen to know that many infants per year are injured by these things. The most common injury is skull fractures. I realize that most parents would never leave a child unsupervised in one of these, but accidents happen in the blink of an eye.....

teresajill
09-30-2001, 03:00 PM
We have a Bumper Jumper and my daughter absolutely loves it. She's been using it since she was 10 weeks old. I know that seems young, but she's very big and very strong. Now, at 5 months, she's at 20 pounds (the limit is 25) and she's bouncing that thing all over the place. It's without a doubt her favorite place to be. We never tried the Johnny Jump Up, but it sounds to me like the bumper jumper is a better bet. It has a very large tray that also serves as a spacer between the baby and whatever she's bumping into. The sides have a soft cushiony bumper that work so well that even if DD squishes her hand between it and the door frame, she doesn't seem to care or notice. One thing that I would caution is that the seat is large. Even now, we stuff 2 rolled up towels behind her to make sure she's securely in place and won't bump her head.