PDA

View Full Version : High Chairs - I'm miserable with the Prima Pappa and considering getting a Graco

martha7
07-17-2001, 01:24 AM
I bought the Prima Pappa because it seemed like the safest thing out there (the bar between the legs, the 5 point harness, the very stable base). But cleaning it is a NIGHTMARE. The worst thing is that the straps can't be removed for cleaning. I got so sick of cleaning it by hand that I put the whole thing in the shower. Well, the straps must have gotten moldy or something because they developed a really nasty smell. I called Peg Perego and made a big stink (pun intended) and they sent me another Prima Pappa frame. I removed the cover, wheels, and tray from the old frame and started using the new one. And now I've got the SAME PROBLEM again. I didn't even put it in the shower this time, I just used a steam cleaner to get the food mess off the straps. I can't believe they make a high chair without removable straps that you could just toss in the wash. I've been debating what to do next. Am trying to put the chair in the sun to see if that will get rid of the odor (it worked on the first frame, which I still have). Anyway, I'm getting REALLY sick of this and debating just getting a Graco neat seat of some kind. I find them ugly and wonder if they're as stable as the Perego, and also how they are from a cleaning perspective. Any experiences out there??? Thanks! Martha

alandenisefields
07-17-2001, 10:41 AM
Martha: To be honest, ALL high chairs are no fun to clean. The Perego can be slightly more of a hassle because of all the nooks and crannies, but ALL high chairs (even Graco) can get gross fast. We had a Perego and DID remove the straps to throw them in the washing machine; yes it wasn't easy to remove them, but it is possible. Another option: spray the straps with Tilex bleach and then rinse them out the best you can.

Any other thoughts on this?

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

shandrin
07-20-2001, 12:26 PM
I partly agree with the fields, with effort you can get the straps off and chuck them in the washer, just not the dryer though, also i used a toothbrush on my PP to help get food out of the nooks & crannies(gee, that sounds like an english muffin ;-))

On the graco easy chair(was that the model you meant?) use this with #3 rather than the very $$ ones i had with the other kids. Nope not as pretty BUT way easier to clean, and besides a moldy covered with stuck food chair isn't either.I look at it this way at least the graco is clean(er) and i'm not scrubbing the highchair like it was a pot!
Good luck hope you can get the smell out! :-)

gentlemommy
07-23-2001, 12:48 PM
Wow, I'm worried now! I *hated* my Graco b/c it was such a pain to clean (the crevices where the straps go get gunky). The plastic seat cover ripped in so many places that I threw it out and I've told my husband I want a new high chair (was considering the Chicco or the new Evenflo) before our daughter starts solids. The Graco is also very awkward to fold up and takes up a lot of space - if you have a lot, that's probably not a big deal, but I tripped over the legs a few times with ours. OTOH, it's very sturdy - my very chunky and rambunctious son could climb into and out of it without any problems, although I was close by in case of any problems. How'd he get in and out, you ask? Well, I was foolish and *threw out* the straps when he was a more stationary infant and didn't think ahead to the time he'd be more mobile.

I guess I should rethink my decision, but I'll probably still go with either the Chicco or Evenflo. Sorry, that probably wasn't helpful, but thought I'd at least reassure you that the Graco is pretty sturdy.

martha7
07-23-2001, 05:50 PM
Actually that was helpful! Maybe I'll stick with the Prima Pappa.... maybe I'm just being unrealistic.... I've never spent so much time cleaning in my whole life... Wish there was an easier way.... like a self-cleaning high chair... actually, if it could withstand soaking better, the shower is not a bad method. Drying it properly is the problem. Sometimes I've put it out in the sun after a shower and that works out (good afternoon sun helps)... well, maybe I'm best off living with the one I've got. Martha

K'sMom
07-28-2001, 06:32 PM
I bought the Prima Pappa used and it has worked out really well. All highchairs get dirty, you just need to readjust your expectations for cleanliness. As for cleaning, I wipe the chair down soon after feeding so the food doesn't dry on. When I first bought the chair, I sprayed it with Simple Green which is less toxic than most cleaners, gave it a quick brushing with a scrub brush and hosed it down (all outside). This worked great and with quick, regular maintenance, it has stayed fairly clean.
A periodic hosing down will get rid of the ground in food.

ErinP
04-06-2002, 01:35 AM
I'm with Martha on this one! I tried removing my straps and got so frustrated I gave up. I'm actually very surprised and dissapointed that you would even recommend using tilex bleach on a part of something that a baby eats off of. Even if you rinsed it thoroughly, some would still stay on and it is extremely toxic to children if inhaled never mind ingested. I spend a good 15 minutes 3 times a day cleaning(with a non toxic cleaner) up after my not so messy daughter. My prima pappa was a waste of money and I'm starting to think it would be easier to just lap feed and change clothes after! Also looking into selling the peg and buying something cheaper!