PDA

View Full Version : Ear Thermometer

rebwal
07-18-2001, 02:27 PM
I'm looking to purchase an ear thermometer for my 6 month old and was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on a good one. I found the Braun, but really didn't want to spend $50 if I didn't have to. I also noted that there's one by Safety 1st called "Accu-Scan Infant Ear Thermometer" for $30 and was wondernig if anyone had an experience with this.

Thanks for your help.

JanaM
07-19-2001, 01:38 PM
We bought the Braun when DS was first born. It didn't work for us. DS would not keep his head still so it took forever to get a reading (you have to have it pointed straight down the ear canal). We would do it several times and get a different temp each time. I even tried it on myself and never got a consistent temp. I never felt confident about it. Then we went out and got a pacifier thermometer. That was worse as DS usually had a stuffed nose when we wanted to take his temp. He of course would then open his mouth to breathe and push it out with his tongue thereby making the reading useless. We found the underarm digital the best. It's easier, cheaper, more accurate and compact. We keep his in his diaper bag so it's always there when we need it.

HTH,
Jana :)

rebwal
07-20-2001, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I never thought about the underarm, but it would probably be a great idea since my daughter never sits still, and also has frequent ear infections.

I'll heed the advise.