PDA

View Full Version : safety gates

seansmom
07-21-2001, 09:05 AM
I put my son in a SuperYard play den when I need to shower, clean, etc. He's a year old and miserable in it. He cries and holds on to the sides the entire time he is in it. He now shakes it and can even lift it slightly of the floor. I need any suggestions as to how to safely contain him because I'm sure it will get worse as he gets older and stronger. Also, the SuperYard is recommended up to two years of age. What do you do at that age so mom can get things done?

Steph
07-23-2001, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure if this will work for you, but a friend of mine puts her daughter in an ultrsaucer when she showers.

whgrad
07-25-2001, 09:13 PM
Once my son started walking I figured I would never get a shower in during the week but I found that if I brought a basket of toys into the separate shower/toilet area of our bathroom, he manages to occupy himself long enough. A big rug on the floor helps to keep it from getting slippery and I talk to him the whole time. He's usually interested in trying to open the shower door the whole time anyway so he's not at risk of getting into mischief.

Good luck!
- Sarah

seansmom
07-28-2001, 01:35 PM
thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to give it a try!

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:39 PM
I have a very active 15 month old son who also cries when put in the SuperYard (it was great until he learned to walk). What I do is take my son into the bathroom with me while I'm in the shower. We have a seperate tup & shower with a clear door, so he can see me/I can see him the whole time. Usually he's mostly interested in opening the shower door, so it's not hard to keep any eye on him.

For other chores, we have two gates sectioning off our living room and that's where his toys are. We've cleared the room of anything we don't want him to get into. He's usually content to play with his toys and run around in there while I'm getting some housework done.

Sarah.....