PDA

View Full Version : Question about using a swing w/newborn

TLC1994
08-03-2001, 05:41 PM
Just wondering if it's necessary to wait until a certain age before using the swing part of our Fisher Price Swing 'n Meals with our 2-week old. I know that they can't use the swings all that long, so I'd like to get some use out of it.

For some reason I thought I had heard or read that you should wait until the baby is 6 weeks old before you put them in the swing. Is that right or am I imagining things? I've read so much stuff over the past months that it's hard to keep everything straight!

BTW, I called FP today and they were no help at all - no age guidelines.

Thanks for the advice!

Geebee
08-07-2001, 09:24 AM
I also read (I think in What to Expect the First Year) to wait until the baby is about 6 weeks. I don't think that it will hurt the baby to use the swing earlier, but most of my friends who tried the swing early found that the baby doesn't like it. So then they try the swing when the baby is a little older (4, 5 or 6 weeks), and the baby likes it.

I tried it when my baby was about 5 weeks, and she liked it.

I hope that helps!

cabote
08-07-2001, 04:20 PM
I have a Swing-N-Meals as well. My baby did not like it when she was that young. It would swing too much for her and her startle reflex would kick in. We tried to slow it down by hanging a receiving blanket over the back as the instructions say to. She still did not like it. Like you, I wanted to get some use from it. All of a sudden at about 8 weeks she decided she liked it. Now she will take her naps in it as well (she won't in her crib!). I hung a strap across the bars and hang different toys from it for visual stimulation. She is now 12 weeks old and she loves to swing and "talk" to her toys. Hope this helps! Have fun and enjoy the moment.