PDA

View Full Version : Folding playpen for travel

jmaggs
08-14-2001, 01:06 AM
Is there a lightweight playpen that folds up easily for travel, large enough for a child up to 2 years to occasionally sleep in? We are looking for one small and light enough to use with air and train travel. I have heard of one made of canvas (backpack-type) material, which folds up 'like an umbrella'. Has anyone seen this type of product?
Thanks

mkkrum
08-20-2001, 08:52 PM
Cosco sells their Eddie Bauer model as "lightweight and portable". . . but. . . well, no. Don't get me wrong, I love it! It just weighs about 30 pounds. It is a terrific travel crib as well as a good way to keep baby contained in a not-always-baby-proofed hotel or home. It folds up and comes in its own bag, but I had to replace the flimsy (awful!) nylon bag with a good sturdy 32" canvas duffle bag. We take it with us when we travel by car, but only took it on an airplane ONCE. Too bulky. Now we rent at our destination instead.

I just checked and BabiesRUs does at least list the shipping weight on the items they sell. Doesn't look like there is anything less than 25#, though.

Good luck on your search! And if you find one, by all means, post it!

mkkrum

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:34 PM
We use a Graco pack & play for our very tall 15 month old son and we travel a lot (our son has flown about 16 times in his life). It works great and is more than big enough for him. If you are going to do any air travel at all, I would suggest investing in a large wheeled duffle bag to put it in (I found mine at Target and it's big enough to put the P&P in as well as a pack of diapers and a few other things). The bag it comes with is fine for car travel but I doubt it would stand up to airline baggage handlers.

Sarah....

jmaggs
08-23-2001, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your advice. Any other suggestions for traveling with a 12-18 month old, or for other travel gear, especially things that AREN'T necessary?
Jenn

>We use a Graco pack &
>play for our very tall
>15 month old son and
>we travel a lot (our
>son has flown about 16
>times in his life).
>It works great and is
>more than big enough for
>him. If you are
>going to do any air
>travel at all, I would