PDA

View Full Version : What is the best bathtub for a newborn?

Jenfed
08-17-2001, 03:47 PM
Can anyone give me recommendations on a bathtub that would best fit a newborn?

Thanks.
Jennifer

Gina C
08-21-2001, 09:25 PM
I used the "Sassy Tubby" made by Sassy. It's an oval shaped tub, 26" in length that supports the head nicely and makes cleaning up slipperly newborns a breeze! I found one at a garage sale for $2 but you can buy it on-line. I just found it for $4.49 at:

http://www.kidsurplus.com/lstb.html

I forgot to mention that it's inflatable and folds easily for travel and storage. Couldn't imagine trying to function without it!!!

newmamma
08-26-2001, 09:28 AM
Hi! I was wondering about the Sassy Tub. Is the whole thing inflatable or just the sides? Is it safe?

Thanks

Gina C
08-26-2001, 01:08 PM
The Sassy Tubby is oval in shape but only the sides expand when filled with air. The bottom stays flat and smooth, but not so slippery that baby moves around. There is enough room for the baby's head to be elevated, comfortably, on either end. I used mine until my daughter was old enough to sit up unassisted, until she was about 6 months old.

The advantage? You don't have to worry about "slumping over" or "falling into the water" with this tub. I hated my slanted tub because I could never get the baby to stay in that position!

Is it safe? I found this tub to be truly "Hands Free." While I watched, my baby would kick and splash about in the water with only a small portion of her neck/hair getting wet. It is just so easy to use! This is my favorite place to bathe a newborn baby. I tried the kitchen sink - too many hard surfaces to hit! I tried the bathroom sink - same problem. I tried showering the baby with me - but shaving your legs is a nightmare with baby in tow. I tried bathing the baby with me - but since I breastfed and baby often needed several clean-ups each day, what a waste of water!!! The Sassy allowed me to use a very small amount of water in the tub, then rinse as needed. I also placed the Sassy Tubby inside my own adult-sized tub to facilitate clean up and keep the draft down so baby stayed warmer (we like our house cool in the summer and winter).

newmamma
08-26-2001, 01:31 PM
Thank you so much for the info on the Sassy Tubby!