PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to changing table

newmamma
08-26-2001, 09:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone has an alternative to a changing table. In the book I saw that one mother recommended something called a Rail Rider that attaches to the crib? Has anyone out there used that? I can't find it on the website in the book - when I search for it just the pad for it comes up). Any other suggestions?

Thanks

HOBSON725
08-27-2001, 09:42 AM
I have heard of some families that use baskets instead of a specific "chaning table/dresser." What they bought was a changing pad(could be the portable kind, disposable kind, etc) and diapers, diaper oinments, etc and put all that in a basket and changed the baby on the floor, couch, bed, etc. You could even have a basket of supplies in the nursery, living room, your bedroom, or anywhere else you visit frequently in your house. Hope it helps :)

mettebg
08-28-2001, 11:06 AM
We chose this very simple solution because my husband is tall, and we didn't want alot of clutter. Using a high (36") bureau, whose top measures 23"x43", we placed a Simmons contoured changing matress(with changing belt). There is room to the side of the changing matress for diapers and wipes, and all of the babies clothes go inside the dresser drawers out of sight! No need to purchase a "changing" table.

bjessen
08-28-2001, 03:07 PM
We also considered the Rail Rider, but although it worked for my 6' tall husband in the store, at 5'2" it was too high for me. If you are tall, it probably would be a great option. Instead we went with another suggestion the book had, the Rumbletuff hi/low dresser and have been extremely pleased. The RT dresser comes in numerous styles and can match just about any finish on a crib out there. We use the drawer on the high side for wipes, creams, etc. The door/shelves on the high side for diapers, wipe refills & Diaper Genie refills. In the three drawers we have her clothes. On the top part on the high side we have a CD/tape box for nursery music and on the long lower part a changing pad which snaps securely on to the back of the dresser. Later, we plan to use the whole thing as just a dresser.

If we already had a dresser, I would have just added a changing pad. This high/low combo is a great deal for us. We have a small 2-bedroom condo and it gave us extra storage in our small nursery (we also got a Pali crib with a drawer underneath for linen storage). There is no way we would've had room for a crib, changing table and dresser. It did run about $400 or so. We did originally consider the basket idea (my sister does that for her downstairs since she doesn't like to make the trek upstairs to her changing stand). However, we needed the extra clothing storage and felt it was worth the money. When we eventually move to another place I may end up using a changing pad and wipes in a basket if we end up on in a 2+ story place.

kasrae
08-30-2001, 04:36 AM
My husband and I are expecting our first baby in November. We did not want a changing table because we already have enought furniture in the baby's bedroom. We are just planning on buying a changing mattress and putting it on the floor. It may sound cruel but neither of us like the changing table and you don't use it for that long. Good luck.