PDA

View Full Version : alternative high chair

mettebg
08-28-2001, 11:13 AM
Has any one tried the Norwegian designed Stokke's "Trip-Trapp" high chair that then can convert into a child's chair? I'm tired of cleaning all the nooks of my more traditional plastic Graco high chair with tray.

Louler
08-28-2001, 11:49 AM
I have the Tripp Trapp. It is my FAVORITE baby purchase. We started putting our son in it at 4 months. His posture at 6 months is amazing. He sits up better than any of his friends. I'm not sure if the Tripp Trapp is responsible, but it might be. We got the blue version. We also got the pads and even the tray. Sometimes we use the tray, but often he simply sits at the table with us. It's a beautiful piece of furniture. It blends in with your home unlike every single, enormous, plastic high-chair. My husband was totally sceptical of the TT (especially the $), but he now wants each of our future children to have one. I cannot sing the praises of this chair enough. I have no trouble keeping it clean, and the pads just go in the wash. Get this chair and enjoy including your child at the table during your meals. Our son loves to be a part of the action and routine.

Steph
09-30-2001, 03:55 PM
I've never heard of the Tripp Trapp. Where can you purchase it and about how much does it run?

Louler
09-30-2001, 06:43 PM
i got mine from backcarebasics.com. It's not widely available. It's $199 for the chair. Well worth it. You can learn more about it at Stokke.com (they're the manufacturers).

tntemge
10-09-2001, 02:32 AM
Hi,

we are also looking into buying this chair. You mentioned that you started using it when your son was 4 months. The Stokke website suggests the use for children of age 2 and above.
Did you purchase the additional restrainers / buckles to keep your little one savely strapped in there?

Louler
10-09-2001, 12:01 PM
yes. we got the baby bar restraint and the padding (which I don't think you need). We also bought a harness for about $4 at toys r us to be extra safe, but after a week we stopped using it. Our little boy (now 7 months) can crawl and stand and walk along the sofa, but he can't get into any trouble in this chair. It fits him to a tee, and adjusting it as he grows has been easy. We love it.

LisaH
10-09-2001, 01:00 PM
I am interested in this chair as well. Did you buy the bar restraint and padding at Back Care Basics? How much were they? Did you use them with the harness? Last question: Do you just push up the chair to the diningroom table?

Louler
10-09-2001, 06:28 PM
I got the whole deal at back care basics. The padding was $19 and the restraint bar $19 (I think that's about right). Yes I used them with the harness, but stopped using the harness after a week. They also offer an 'after-market' tray (not made by Stokke). I got that too but we don't use it. It's much easier to pull him up to the table. He eats all meals right with us, and clean up is mainly the table (and the baby!). The tray goes against the principle of the Tripp Trapp, but grandma thought we should have it (you know how that can be). We used it for about a month. Save your money.

LisaH
10-15-2001, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I saw the Trip Trap at the Right Start Store (Annapolis,MD) and they are getting in the harness but the salesperson did not know about the padding or the tray. Just for reference where did you buy the tray?

Lisa

Louler
10-15-2001, 12:47 PM
Remember it's an after market tray. It's not made by Stokke. I got it from Back Care Basics too, and the labeling on it indicates that it was made by a company called the 'equipment shop' out of Mass. It fits the chair perfectly, but it's not nearly as well made, and again, I haven't used it since the first week or so.

tarheelmom
10-15-2001, 07:18 PM
I've been thinking about this chair but don't have to buy one for a few more months - my ds is only 2 months old. I noticed that babycatalog.com has it on sale right now. They call it the Kinderzeat, which the Stokke website says is the same thing as the Tripp Trapp. Babycatalog.com has it for $180 and free shipping. It is available in several different finishes, and the pads are also available. I've ordered a diaper bag from them in the past and was pleased with their service.

Louler
10-15-2001, 07:51 PM
The Kinderzeat looks like the exact same chair. Mine is the blue they offer. It says that it is not to be used as a high chair which makes me wonder if it has the special cut-outs in which you install the restraint bars for babies. I'd ask before I bought. Also, I have seen a knock-off version of the TT in One Step Ahead's catalogue. It has an additional cross bar on the frame which makes it look a bit different, but essentially it looks the same. I have no idea whether it's well made, but it is $99 which is half the price of the TT. It's in their printed catalogue, but I don't see it on their web site.

LisaH
10-17-2001, 09:13 PM
It was my impression that the Trip Trap and the Kinderzeat were one in the same chair. I'll have to look at the One Step Ahead catalogue and check out that other chair. Thanks for ALL info.

Lisa

Jili
01-19-2002, 05:32 PM
I am considering this chair after reading your message.
I am a first time mom and will soon need a high chair. It seems
that chilren are very messy when they eat and the tray on
traditional high chairs helps contain that somewhat. Using this
chair and putting your little one right up to the table, does that
make a big mess at your dinner table?
Thanks,
Jili