PDA

View Full Version : Do all monitors hum when plugged in??

SylviaC
09-16-2001, 03:12 PM
We currently use a Safety 1st sound and lights monitor, which has been working great for 5 weeks. The only problem that is driving us batty at night is that it hums like a son-of-a-gun when the cord in plugged in. It's not static, just a hum like the sound of a transformer. We really like it because it is very clear, no static at all, and the light display is pretty good too. But since the hum drives me nuts we are burning batteries like crazy every few nights. My husband wants to exchange it for another model but before we do I'd like to know if other brands do the same thing. Any experiences to share???
Thanks,
Sylvia

evansdad
09-16-2001, 07:16 PM
we plug ours in at night, but turn it upside down on the carpet to soften the noises it puts off. If our little guy is crying, we can still hear him.

GrahamGal
09-17-2001, 08:01 PM
We have a Fisher-Price Sound n Lights, I slept with it by my bed for the first time last night and noticed the very same thing. Very annoying! Sounds like it's a common problem.

sendust
09-24-2001, 10:54 AM
It seems to hum more if it is by a radio. We moved ours and the humming was reduced.

cynnerp
10-17-2001, 09:55 AM
We had the same monitor, but it interfered with our cordless phone and would produce static every time we were on the phone. So we returned it.

I can't remember if you can switch channels on that monitor and base, but if you can, you may want to try that. Sometimes that can help with the humming. Or, it could be the location in the room. If you move the monitor across the room, that can help with the humming too.

egoldber
10-24-2001, 07:25 PM
We have The First Years Crisp&Clear Plus monitor. It works really well. There is certainly no hum when the parent unit is or is not plugged in. I work from home and use it in my office next to a laptop, a desktop computer, a printer, a cordless phone, etc and no problems. It was a gift, so I don't know how much it is, but I am very pleased with it.

TLC1994
11-20-2001, 01:21 AM
Funny you brought this up because last night my husband & I finally had enough of our "humming" monitor! He took at look at it and removed the battery and kept the monitor plugged in and that took care of the sound. BTW - we have a Fisher Price Sound 'n Lights monitor.

I guess if we plan to move the monitor to another room, we'll either have to unplug it or put the battery back in, then remove it at night. We rarely move the monitor, though.

Hope that helps.