PDA

View Full Version : Using a Pack N Play as a bassinet......

ivyts
10-04-2001, 04:54 PM
We will be using a Graco Pack N Play with bassinet as our bassinet in our room for the first few weeks after our baby is born. I noticed that the mattress that came with it is VERY thin. Anyone know or can make recommendations of what you can use to make it more comfortable for the baby?

Thanks,

Ivy

michele_o
10-05-2001, 03:09 PM
I would be reluctant to add anything to the playpen. It is safe for use as a bassinet with the mattress that came with it, but if you try to add more padding it may no longer be safe. My friend used her Pack 'n Play as a bassinet for at least the first month and her baby slept just fine there...I think they get used to sleeping wherever you put them. Hope this helps!

Michele
edd 12/25/01

LisaH
10-06-2001, 01:43 PM
I agree with Michele. Placing anything in the bassinet will only increase the likelihood of SIDS. I used my Pack N Play for 6-7 weeks with no problem. I used a wedge pillow to keep my baby either on his back or side. Good Luck.

Lisa

ACinnamonGirl
10-07-2001, 12:33 PM
Hi Ivy ~
My DD slept in the PNP bassinet in our room during the night for the first 3 months and had no problems falling asleep. Yes, the mattress is thin, but it is designed to be firm enough to support the baby in the bassinet. As mentioned by others, the mattresses for infants are not supposed to be soft like those for adults - due to risks of SIDS. You can purchase sheets designed specifically for the Graco PNP, and I also bought a thin waterproof pad to go under the sheet. I think the PNP is a very versatile product. We've used it extensively as a portable crib while traveling all over.
Jules