PDA

View Full Version : FORMULA and BOTTLE QUESTIONS: Please Answer!!!!!!!

HOBSON725
11-25-2001, 03:03 PM
I have lots of questions: What is the best formula brand? Is Parent's Choice brand good? Or should I use a name brand? Also, I had originally planned on breastfeeding and pumping, but have decided to use formula, so I have several AVENT bottles. Should I return the AVENT bottles (haven't used them or opened the packages) and get a less expensive brand? Or should I just keep the AVENT bottles and also get some less expensive bottles? Can I use different bottle systems? Any other information on formula feeding would be perfect...my baby is due Dec.28th!!! Thanks, ~ECH

KathyO
11-25-2001, 04:40 PM
I don't know about Parent's Choice, but my friend who bottlefeeds strongly recommends Nestle's Goodstart. Her baby was given Enfalac in the hospital, but had problems digesting it, and suffered with constipation and a lot of gas. The Goodstart has not caused any problems and her baby is growing and thriving just fine.

If it's not too nosy of me to ask, what was the factor in your decision to go formula? (No, I am not some crazed crusader for either side. Just curious.)

If I were you I'd just keep the Avent bottles. They've worked well for me and for everyone I know, and being so wide, they are easy to clean. They use silicone nipples, which I am told is better than latex if there is a risk of the baby becoming sensitive to latex.

Good luck,

Kathy

KathyO
11-25-2001, 04:46 PM
P.S. - Look down the topic list in this forum to one called "Parents Choice bottles and formula". It answers your questions about the PC brand, which sounds like it's got a lot going for it.

Geebee
11-27-2001, 02:35 PM
I would ask your baby's pediatrician what formula that he/she recommends.

lardai
11-27-2001, 05:20 PM
I formula fed my 18 month old baby. One reason there are many different types of bottles/nipples/formula is that every baby is different. What works great for one baby may not work well for a different baby but that doesn't make one product better than the next just better for that particular baby. My daughter used enfamil with iron powdered formula and never had any gas issues or any noticeable stomach discomfort. I used playtex bottles with drop in liners. I personally prefer liners since I can push the air out. Honestly though, I wanted to use healthflow bottles but my daughter refused to drink from the nipples but had no problems with the brown playtex ones. All formulas must meed fda regulations so I wouldn't worry about using generics. If cost is an issue (formula is expensive) I recommend comparing them by unit price not by can. For example enfamil may cost more than carnation but it has more per can so the cost can end up cheaper for enfamil. (this is just an example). Also warehouses stores like BJ's, costco's may have cheaper formula than at grocery stores. However I had a friend who used similac with her preemie son who thrived on it but every time she bought it at the grocery store she got a $2.00 enfamil coupon which she gave to me. My recommendation would be to buy just a few bottles until after you have your baby and the baby decides which type he/she prefers and there is nothing wrong with using mixed types of bottles if the baby doesn't mind. On the other hand I would probably ask the pediatrician's office about their formula preference since it isn't good to switch around often (without ped's consent) and I wouldn't buy formula ahead of time since the hospital will usually give you some to take home to get you thru a few days if necessary and returning formula isn't usually allowed. I hope some of this is helpful.

christine
12-06-2001, 10:18 AM
i use target brand formula, i have tried everything and find this is the best and cheapest. my baby is now 5 months old and is doing great, the doctor told me there is no difference in the formula. whatever works for me is fine.