PDA

View Full Version : stationary entertainers/play stations

sdownie
12-02-2001, 04:55 PM
HI, there! Our daughter is six months old, sits up well and can stand for brief spells as long as she has something to hold on to. Up to now, she's been playing on her Gymini mat, but she's outgrown it (her poor head hits the arches and she tries to pull herself up on it, which of course won't work because they're not rigid enough). We went to TRU yesterday to look at playing stations (where the child sits in the center) but they only had three models, and none of them seemed very impressive. One was an immobile - 2-in-1 Discovery Farm - and the other two had wheels. I was under the impression that the wheeled variety had gone the way of the Dodo (for safety reasons).
Does anyone have experience w/these toys? I'd love any suggestions...

mom2mara
12-02-2001, 05:45 PM
Hi! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Gymini. Our daughter loved that too!

My MIL bought an Ultrasaucer by Evenflo for my daughter as a shower gift. She's been using it since she was about 3 months old (she had to be propped with a rolled blanket in back) and absolutely loves it!
She's almost seven months old now and continues to enjoy it.

I've seen other saucers when we've taken her to friends houses, and they don't even compare to the Ultrasaucer! She loves the fact that it rocks, bounces (though you can stabalize it with 'feet' if she likes to stay still) and loves playing with all the toys, especially the soft teether and the musical toys and spinners. It really has a lot to keep her engaged.

At first she'd only like to be in it for a few minutes, but now she can entertain herself for 45 minutes and I can get things done and she's just thrilled!

My MIL got mine at Baby Depot at Burlington Coat Factory, but I've also seen it at Target and other discounters. I've even seen it at Babies R Us a time or two.

I personally hate the wheeled activity centers, namely because they're not as sturdy and they are a safety hazard.

I think that your daughter would love the Ultrasaucer. It's a great product!

Take care,
~Laura

emmiem
12-04-2001, 10:23 AM
We have the 2in 1 Farm Discovery Center. It's a waste of money for us. My 10 month old daughter will only stay in it for about 5 minutes. She does not play with any of the attached toys and likes instead the loose characters. However, as soon as she drops them off the center, she wants out.

sdownie
12-14-2001, 02:01 AM
Hi Laura.
Thanks for the feedback. Since I posted that query, I have seen pictures of the Ultrasaucer. I'm happy you were able to tell me more about it. We'll go take a look for ourselves now. Thanks again.
Stephanie

sdownie
12-14-2001, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the warning!

Minnie Mouse
12-14-2001, 11:54 AM
We received the Ultrasaucer as a shower gift as well. My dd has always had really great upper body and head control, so we started putting her in it at 2.5 months...with a rolled up towel. SHE LOVES THIS SAUCER.

I am so glad that we have this. In the beginning, she would just sort of hang out and look at the stuff, then she went through stages of interaction with the different toys. Now at 5 months it is one of her favorite things. She pulls the "high" toys down into her mouth, coos and spins the toy bar and makes the worms sing all the time. Oh and the jumping...she just loves that as well.

I think the saucer has allowed her to gain some autonomy. In the beginning, she didn't do tummy time well and would get frustrated easily. The saucer allowed her to play by herself for a bit..which I am seeing is an important thing to my independent daughter.

We are of course careful not to leave her in it for long periods of time. Generally, she is there in the mornings before work while we are making lunch and then later while we make dinner.

They have an entertainer at daycare that has maybe 1/4 of the toys on her Ultrasaucer. While she seems okay in it...she isn't as animated or as interactive with it.

We are thrilled with this item.

Christine