PDA

View Full Version : Dry baby wipes?

elainegl
01-07-2002, 10:52 AM
When I was in the hospital, they gave us dry, disposable towels (softer and stronger than paper towels) to use as baby wipes. We just wet them with water. I'd like to continue using something like this. I tried Huggies Natural baby wipes and my daughter immediately developed diaper rash. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get dry, disposable wipes?

Thanks,
Elaine

neuhofer
01-16-2002, 01:16 PM
Hi Elaine,

I'm not familiar with your wipes persay, but can offer a suggestion, even if it initially sounds a bit weird.

My in-laws have a mechanic shop. There are two kinds of shop towels they buy in rolls (blue ones, or white with tiny rip-stop threads woven into them). These are disposable paper towels, but are far more durable than the regular household "kleenex-plus" varieties.

We all have these shop towels around the house. They are good for all kinds of messy business.

Shannon

kphil
01-20-2002, 02:05 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about. If I recall, I think they're called "Chix"--I could have that slightly wrong. You can order them directly from the manufacturer--I remember finding them online when I was interested in doing the same. They were pretty expensive, though, so we came up with another alternative. We bought packages of those cotton cosmetic squares (usually about 200 of them for $2) and we just wet those with water. It worked very well. We switched to cloth diapers at 16 months, and started using cloth wipes at that time. The wipes are basically washcloths--I have some that are the thin, cheap baby washcloths, and others that are made to be wipes, made of thicker materials like velour or thick terry. Cloth wipes are definately my favorite--they clean better than disposable wipes, and you can use whatever solution you want with them. I use a simple homemade solution in a peri-type bottle.

Hope this helps!

Kirsten

cma
01-28-2002, 05:31 PM
We've been using Gerber Diaper Liners as wipes instead of regular baby wipes. (The nurse at our baby basics class told us she used these when she brought her newborn home.)

Hope this helps,
Chris

finola
02-13-2002, 09:02 PM
The surgical supply store where I rented my breast pump helped us out with this. They sell a type of soft gauze product also in squares about 6"x6". For approx. 400 of these squares, we paid $2.00. They did not come in any fancy packaging just a simple plastic bag. We also ended up cutting them in half since they were folded (like napkins) so they lasted a really long time. Even though we now use the wipes (at 7 months) we still buy the squares to pat her dry when the wipes leave her wet. I am sure a pharmacy would have a similar product.

Allison
02-15-2002, 02:20 PM
We used paper towels for at least the first seven months to avoid diaper rash. But not any paper towels, just the Viva ones made by Kleenex.

I watercolor, and those are the paper towels I've used for years b/c of how soft they are & how well they absorb. And it just so happened that the nurses at the hospital & our pediatrician recommended them as well.

While wipes are easier in that you don't have to add the step of getting them wet, we loved the Viva paper towels b/c there were no chemicals on his skin and they are cheaper!