PDA

View Full Version : Really silly question about sterlizing nipples?

tilly2321
01-10-2002, 05:46 PM
I just heard from my friend that her pharmacist told her not to sterilize her nipples in the dishwasher since they can get damaged and then the baby can choke on any loose pieces later on. Do you all sterilize them this way? I don't know any other way. Also, do you sterilize after each use? I also read that you shouldn't keep any unused formula or expressed breastmilk because the baby's saliva can contaminate it. Can you keep it for a just a few hours or so while at the mall or something? HELP! I know these aren't directly baby product related, but I need to know if there is a safer way to deal with the nipples.
Thanks@
Elaine

suzska
01-11-2002, 01:00 AM
I put the nipples in the dishwasher all the time--but that doesn't really sterilize them, just cleans them as far as I know (unless you have a dishwasher with a special setting, which I do, but never use). I have an Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer that I use to use all the time, before each use, but once my son was maybe 6 months old (and puts everything in his mouth anyway), I just started washing everything in the dishwasher. All the nipple packages tell you to regularly inspect the nipples for tears, etc. and to stop using them immediately when that happens. Frankly, I've never had any tear--I use Gerber silicone orthodontic nipples, FWIW. But it's probably a good idea to replace them every 3 months or so. There are some nipples that say to sterilize them before the first use, then just to wask them by hand--not put them in the dishwasher. I'd check the package of whatever nipples you are using/plan to use. Oh, I also have a pair of those "cheap" white, plastic baskets to use in the dishwasher--I throw all the nipples, bottle rings, caps in there.

As for formula, you should throw out what the baby doesn't finish after an hour or so (opinions vary on this). The saliva can get in the bottle, and contaminate it, leading to bacteria. If I'm going to be out for a long time, I carry it in an insulated bag with icepacks (which I got for "free" from the hospital/Similac). My son doesn't like cold formula, so if I can't warm it up, I try to take it out of the insulated bag about 30 min. before "feeding time."

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

kbalchus
01-11-2002, 11:32 AM
Perhaps the pharmacist was referring to rubber nipple (usually brown) as not being able to go in the dishwasher b/c then they'd crack and could break off into small pieces? I nursed my son until he was about 5 months, then when he started on formula we got enough bottles to last one day and run them all through the dishwasher at night. I didn't worry about sterilizing at that age, although I did boil my breast pump and bottles when he was younger.

I wish there was more of a concensus about how long you can keep formula once baby has drunk out of the bottle too. If I threw it out right after he ate some, I'd waste a ton--but I'm also not going to give him a bottle to finish at 3PM that he started at 9AM. I'd see what your pediatrician has to say about this.

If I'm going to have to give my son a bottle while we're out, I put the water into a bottle and then measure out the right amount of formula into a baby food jar. Then I don't have to worry about keeping the bottle cold and it's less expensive than those Enfamil travel packs of formula (Easy One's I think they're called). If you're going to pack premixed formula or breastmilk though, it is important to keep it chilled :).

Kristen

tilly2321
01-11-2002, 11:50 AM
Thanks to all who answered my questions. It is so hard when you hear conflicting info from everyone. I am beginning to realize that sometimes there isn't a perfect or right way to do everything. I really, really, appreciate your info on this!!
ELaine

mpitman
01-30-2002, 11:09 AM
To be honest, I only boiled them for 5 minutes prior to the first use as instructed on the package. Then I hand wash - mostly because I needed it clean right then and I trused my cleaning more than a machines. They do say not to boil them over and over becasue they will break down - even if you can't see it. I personally never had a problem with that. Also, I read that we have much too sterile environments for our children these days which actually produces the opposite effect. Since they aren't exposed to as many germs they are more easily effected by them. I don't know if that's true, but it make sense enough for me not to worry too much about it.