PDA

View Full Version : Home Carpet Cleaners

schums
01-15-2002, 12:36 PM
This is a bit off the topic, but since babies tend to make messes everywhere around the house (including on carpets) I thought I'd ask. We are looking into a steam cleaner (like Hoover) for the house, to use when baby decides that yams look good on light colored carpeting. However, we haven't seen any reviews (including in Consumer Reports, our bible of sorts) on which one, if any, work the best.

Does anyone have any feedback on which models/brands we should look at?

Thanks,

Sarah

daisy1234
01-15-2002, 08:08 PM
we are looking into buying one also.. I love my Hoover Windtunnel vacuum...We are most likely going to go with the Hoover steam cleaner..the widepath. It is just under $300. I also heard the Bissel top of the line is very good and it heats the water. The Hoover has spinning brushes and you can add your own hot water. Friends of ours have the Hoover and really think it is great ...they have 3 dogs and use it very often...cleans great and is holding up well. They chose the Hoover over the Bissel because according the CR the Hoovers have a better reliability record! Good Luck!

suzska
01-15-2002, 11:55 PM
We had a Hoover a few years ago, and loved it! We have hardwood floors now, so my parents got the Hoover. We didn't have any kids then, so I can't say how it will work on "kiddie messes." But it seemed like a really "smart" design--easy to use (what goes where), etc. I certainly picked up a lot of carpet fuzz from the "cheap" contractor grade carpeting in our townhouse.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

mungbean
01-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Be sure to look into the chemicals used with the carpet cleaner. I have heard a very frightening story about a baby that developed an immune problem after playing on recently cleaned carpet.

Jackie
01-26-2002, 02:19 PM
I have the Hoover and like it. One note on the last post, I always rinse the carpet with water after shampooing to take out some of the residue, I'm sure it doesn't take out much of the chemicals, but it can't hurt.