PDA

View Full Version : laundry detergent

Cindder
01-24-2002, 09:30 AM
I hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question, but what kind of laundry detergent is best for babies clothes, etc? I will be a new mom in March. Also, what about baby bathing products etc? Is J&J better than Baby Magic??

Thanks for your help!

Samantha
01-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Not a stupid question at all. Personally, I feel that "baby detergents" are a huge rip off. I work on an OB floor as an RN...all our baby blankets, t-shirts, etc are washed in industrial strength detergent and bleach...because of all the bodily fluids. Even the NICU babies lay on these blankets, and rashes just aren't a problem for MOST babies. Some do have exceptionally sensitive skin, but I'd wait to see before I laid out huge bucks for special detergent. Also, putting the wash through an extra rinse cycle often helps remove irritating detergent.
As the to baby bathing products....I don't find a difference between the two. I use Baby Magic because I like the way it smells...also because I found big container with a pump top, which I think is easier to manage while bathing a slippery baby. JMHO.

jacquirapp
01-24-2002, 02:43 PM
I was told recently by a friend that she prefers to use any detergent that is one of those "free and clear" ones. The ones that are recommended for people with allergies. Like I think ALL makes one... Anyway, they are as good. And, you can use them on cloth diapers, unlike detergents like Ivory Snow, which you cannot use on cloth diapers.

Jacqui

kbalchus
01-24-2002, 09:06 PM
I agree that those "baby detergents" are a waste of money! I've used Tide Free with my son and never had any problems. Actually, I've washed some of his clothes in with the rest of the family's and used Tide with Bleach Alternative--no problems there either.

As far as bathing products go--I don't know, I think I just use J&J b/c of the brand name, I remember my mom using it with me, lol. For all I know the drug store brand baby bath products are just as good :)!

Kristen

suzska
01-25-2002, 12:12 AM
I have only used liquid Tide Free on my sons clothes (I'm the one who's sensitive to bleach--I couldn't stand when my husband used Tide w/Bleach on our bedding, so now we only use Tide Free). We do put everything through an extra rinse, and I don't use any fabric softeners/dryer sheets on my sons clothes. We have a front loading washer, FWIW, so I think it's not as "rough" on the clothes. I just wash everything in Warm water (even when it says Cold), and our dryer has a Medium/Low setting which I use (since half the clothes say "tumble dry medium" and half say "tumble dry low").

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

Cindder
01-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all your help! I will go withthe "free" detergents.

stinkerpie
01-25-2002, 10:41 PM
you might try this link:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/babyskin/indexframe3.htm

Paula Begoun is a consumer advocate for beauty and skincare products; she's put together a list of recommendations for baby skin care products with ratings for the most popular brands as well.

Hope this helps!

Amy

egoldber
01-27-2002, 02:58 PM
I have always washed my baby's clothes with the detergent that I have always used, Tide "Free". I use it because I, personally, don't like heavily scented detergents. I have also found that the detergents with bleach can occasionally discolor clothes, even though they claim to be safe for colors.

One note about laundry detergents is that I NEVER use the amount of soap that it recommends on the box. Only a small amount of detergent is really required (like about 1/4 of what they recommend) and the clothes still get very clean, and no extra rinse is required. I also wash everything on permanent press rather than normal to get a more gentle cleaning action. This causes clothes to not show so much wear so quickly. (I learned this from Martha Stewart. :-) )