PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Pails for Cloth?

jacquirapp
01-24-2002, 02:41 PM
Can anyone give me some help on finding a good diaper pail for cloth diapers? I've heard that some diaper pails are good for both disposable and cloth, but I don't know which is better for cloth. We are planning on using a dry pail, but I'm open to the idea of a wet pail.

Thanks,
Jacqui

KathyO
01-24-2002, 10:05 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, all the pails commonly available these days are for disposables. Wal-Mart carries one that's suitable for cloth - a small white model with space in the lid for a deodorizer puck; these are okay if Junior can't get at them to knock the lid off, and if you don't mind having a couple because they're so small.

I got my larger pail from someone who got it on the Internet; try a search on cloth diapering - most of the sites that sell cloth diapers sell a pail or two as well.

Wet pail or dry pail? I use a dry one, and have no problems with odour, plus if it does get knocked over, only damp diapers spill out, not dirty water! Needless to say, a wet pail also presents a drowning hazard to an unsupervised toddler. (Some models have a locking lid; if you're going to keep it beside the change table, don't bother with the ones that need TWO HANDS to open and re-seal! One hand has to stay on Junior, so you'll spend too much time struggling with the pail one-handed.) I've been told that wet pails are hard on diaper fibres, and shorten the life of the fabric.

For some really detailed discussions of the relative merits of wet/dry pails, and different washing/drying methods, see the bulletin board at www.motherease.com. It is moderated by the company's founder, Erika, and after cloth diapering four babies, she knows whereof she speaks.

Good luck,

KathyO

jacquirapp
01-25-2002, 09:53 AM
Thanks so much! I had a dream last night that I invented a great wet pail... it looked like an old Mason jar... LOL! Locked on the top, but also had the seal so that the liquid wouldn't leak out! LOL! Funny, eh?

I saw on a website, www.clothdiaperinfo.org, that dry pails are generally better b/c you can lengthen the life of the diapers, etc.

Since I am getting the Mother Ease diapers, I will be sure to look to see what they have to say about pails! :)

Thanks so much!

Jacqui

jacquirapp
01-25-2002, 11:04 AM
Kathy: I found this site -

www.babyminestore.com/shopping/diaperpail.htm

And they have a pail on there... for $20, which sounded pretty good.

What about these pail liners? Are they worth getting???

Jacqui

KathyO
01-25-2002, 09:18 PM
$20 is great for a pail.

I've never bothered with pail liners - the pail gets rinsed with hot water when I go down to dump the diapers in the laundry, and once in a while it sits with water and a bit of bleach in it to deodorize. I don't see what the pail liners would add, but who knows?

Does that pail have a handle? Helps a lot when you're hauling the diapers to the washing machine.

The item that has really cut down on my diaper washing work is a biodegradable soft paper liner that goes in the diaper (Flushabye brand, available cheap from some cloth diapering websites. Kooshies makes them too, and our local Wal-Mart stocks them, although they're more expensive that way). Mother-ease sells polypropylene ones, but I like the paper ones better. You just peel them out of the diaper and the poop goes with them. When baby is tiny and stools are really glooshy, they only help some, but as you get into solids they can save a lot of work.

Thanks for the websites!

KathyO

New_Mom
02-03-2002, 11:21 AM
I saw the same diaper pail on another site for $15.

[www.jardinediapers.com]

I know someone who has ordered from this site and is very happy with them. I plan to use them for my cloth diapers.

Good Luck!!