PDA

View Full Version : Question about potty

Tonya
02-01-2002, 02:14 PM
I just bought a potty for my son who is 20 months old. He's not ready for it but I wanted him to see it and start getting used to it. We bought the Safety 1st Potty 'N Step Stool. We're having a problem with it and wondered if there is a better way.

It has the deflector shield for boys attached and it folds level with the bowl toward the center of the bowl when you close the lid. When we raise it up and try to sit our son back on it, the deflector shield is in the way. I try to raise him up and over the shield but he doesn't really cooperate and I end up sitting him right on top of the shield (which I know must not feel good). If I slide him back against the seat, then the deflector shield folds down. If he would cooperate a little more, I don't think it would be a problem. But he doesn't know what to do.

Is this something that will get better in a few months, or should I opt for some other potty design.

Thanks for any advice

Tonya

alandenisefields
02-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Tonya,

Thanks for using our message boards.

This is an interesting dilemma. We think you might want to find a seat that doesn't have the shield (or has the option to remove it. Take a look at Baby Bjorn's potties (http://www.babybjorn.com/), they might be better for you.

With our sons, anything that made the experience uncomfortable was a big negative. We also don't think the shield is all that necessary. The first thing you teach him, when he's ready, is to point his penus down (doesn't mean he's going to remember every time, but he'll catch on fast).

Best wishes,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS