PDA

View Full Version : When are Cheerios ok?

TLC1994
02-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Just wondering when it's safe to give a baby Cheerios. My little girl is almost 7 months old and has 2 teeth.

Thanks!!

Geebee
02-12-2002, 08:47 PM
I think that I gave Cheerios to my girl at around 8 months. Even without teeth, Cheerios are fine because they kind of dissolve in their little mouths (like in a bowl of milk!) and are easy to gum. She will let you know if she isn't ready for them!

ACinnamonGirl
02-17-2002, 05:55 PM
Hi ~
From my experience, it isn't the number of teeth that are of importance, but rather whether or not your baby is used to chewing her food. My daughter had 8 teeth when I started giving her Cheerios at around 8 months. I figured that with all those teeth there wouldn't be a problem. I watched my daughter put them into her mouth and figured all was okay, because she wasn't choking on them. Wrong!! I quickly discovered that instead of chewing the Cheerios, my daughter was swallowing them whole, which then caused her to throw up. Yes, Cheerios do dissolve eventually, but unless your baby knows how to chew & grind/mash her food with her gums, you will want to pay close attention to her while she eats. I began to give the Cheerios to my daughter one at a time, and have her bite them in half first. Eventually she got the hang of it, but just realize that it may not be as simple as you might think.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Jules