PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with walkers anyhow?

tilly2321
02-16-2002, 10:24 PM
I am so confused! I thought these things were recalled and parents were never told them to be used again. How are the new ones different from the older ones and does anyone have any good recommendations for one? When does the baby start sitting in one?

Thanks!
Tilly

suzska
02-16-2002, 11:52 PM
As far as I know (we never used one), the newer ones have to be wider than a doorway so that the child can't get through and tumble down the stairs. Which also means they take up a lot of floor space. I certainly didn't have room for one, and also didn't like worrying about the safety concerns.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

momathome
02-17-2002, 10:00 AM
While stores do still sell walkers, they are still responsible for a large number of injuries every year and are not reccomended or neccesary. Other countries have banned them and I just recently read that there is a new proposition in this country to ban them once and for all. Exersaucers are a decent alternative since they are stationary but even these are not exactly essential baby equipment. Good luck!
-Lauren

SylviaC
02-17-2002, 06:32 PM
There are lots of so-called walkers on the market these days that are marketed as "activity centers" - excersaucer, playgym, etc... I have to say I was really against it myself and then one day my husband went out to Target with my son to get some diapers, put him in one, and whhosh!! he was off like a shot and giggled the entire time. So, he bought it. We got a newer one from Graco, I can't remember the name, but now that he's been in it for almost a month I'm glad we got it. It's much smaller than most of the ones out there and does in fact fit thru a doorway, which I like since that means if I'm in another room he can come "find me". Plus it has these feet that can lock in place so that if I want him to stay put he will. Really, I think it is perfectly safe and he enjoys the time he spends chasing the dog around the house.
As for when, you should really only put the baby in one once he has head and neck control and can grab onto the sides for stability. Also check that the ball of his feet and his toes touch the ground - no hanging in mid-air.
Sylvia
& Nicholas 6mos

tjham
09-07-2002, 12:56 AM
The newer ones also have a feature that if they go over a step, they "drag" and don't roll anymore to prevent falling.