PDA

View Full Version : Baby Safe Feeder - a totally cool invention!

KathyO
02-18-2002, 11:01 PM
It's a device for letting babies (assuming they are ready for solids) feed themselves without risk of choking.

Imagine a fine-mesh fabric bag (about the size of an egg) with a hard plastic ring as the opening. Just pop some food (a piece of fruit, some cooked vegetables, cooked meat, whatever) into the bag, screw the plug/handle into the ring, and hand it to Junior, who can gnaw away on it without getting any pieces large or hard enough to choke on.

My 10-month-old has enough teeth to carve off a piece of food, but can't chew it up (doesn't know how, no molars either) so we're still mostly stuck with pre-mashed food. When she's in her high chair, I can give her a slice of apple (or whatever) in the Baby Safe Feeder, and she gnaws happily away while I make my own lunch, do the dishes, whatever I have to. It's a great way to give her food when we're out at a restaurant too. There's nothing left inside it when she's done, but there's no mess either. I love this thing! It broadens the range of foods I can give her, and best of all, she can feed herself (which she seems to find hugely entertaining)! According to the literature, putting frozen fruit inside it is nice when kiddo is teething.

You can find them online at www.babysafefeeder.com.

KathyO