PDA

View Full Version : bottle sterilizers

Cindder
02-20-2002, 10:53 AM
I plan on breastfeeding but will express so that my husband can help with the feedings...I guess that means I will need a bottle/nipple sterilizer (as opposed to just putting bottles in a dishwasher?). My question is, who makes the best (there seems to be many brands out there)? I will probably use Avent bottles as they seem to get high ratings. I know Avent makes a bottle sterilizer, does anyone have this and like it? I welcome any suggestions!!

Thank you!

new-mom-2-B

trumansmom
02-20-2002, 12:46 PM
I have an Avent sterilizer and I do like it. We usually use a basket in the dishwasher, but for those times when we don't have a full load and just want to do some nipples, pacifiers, breast pump parts ,small rattles, etc., we do use the sterilizer in the microwave.

Hope that helps.

marcia
02-20-2002, 02:43 PM
I also have an Avent microwave sterilizer and use that when it is more convenient than the dishwasher. I'm very happy with it. I also believe the dishwasher is fine.

suzska
02-20-2002, 11:43 PM
I have the Avent sterilizer and have been very happy with it. It is so easy to use. And just so you know, you can use other brands of bottles in it, not just Avent (I used Gerber--my son didn't like the Avent bottles). There are different times for the different brands and different watt microwaves, but that's all in the directions. But for me, you just poored 7 oz of water into the unit and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. Items supposedly stay "sterilized" for 3 hours if you don't open the unit. I would put a batch in the microwave and go to sleep so they'd be ready when I needed them--can't do that while boiling things on the stove top!

We sterilized everything for the first 5 or 6 months or so (once my son started putting everything in his mouth, there wasn't much point anymore). Now we just put everything into the dishwasher.

Also, be careful what you put in it. Bottles, nipples, and most pacifiers should be okay. But I once tried some of my son's teething toys, and they melted in the sterilizer! Won't make that mistake again. Some things will actually say on the packaging not to put them in a steam sterilizer.

But IMO, buy the Avent Sterilizer! I even took it on vacation with us in January, because the hotel room had a microwave and I didn't have access to a dishwasher--so I washed things out in the sink (I used disposable bottles then) and put the nipples through the sterilizer (I probably didn't have to, but felt better doing it).

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

Cindder
02-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Thank you so very much for the input. I will get the Avent sterilizer.

ps
what does IMO stand for?

Thanks,

Deanne

suzska
02-23-2002, 12:13 AM
Oh, "in my opinion." ;-)

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01